Seal Culls

Dark Jester - not safe to generalise. I'm all for animal rights and don't discriminate between the cute ones and 'not so cute' ones.

My partner would be able to tell you that I saved a bunch of wasps that got into my home by gently taking each one and returning it near their hive. I got stung in the leg by one accidently (oh that hurt and burned soooo bad, I could feel it through my whole leg, had to have some injection at the hospital). I wasn't remotely annoyed at the wasp and continue to do crazy things for all sorts of wildlife no matter how big or small, cute doesn't come into the equation.

Wild pitch - you and I came to an agreement of sorts about definitions of genocide etc. so please be kind and realise that those of us who support animal rights (not saying you don't) and lobby for it do tend to get emotional about this topic. Its hard to be heard over all the other interests groups and stakeholders (share investors, indigenous people, multinationals, local fishermen, environmentalists, etc) so shock tactics (words like genocide, throwing red paint on stuff) are used to gain attention to the cause.

Akasha I understand your heart is in this and where you're coming from. Don't let go of that.

Personally, I'd like to believe that that is not so, but I am not that naive. For me, how they look is not an issue. I try to help anything, from cockroaches to puppies.

By the way guys, here is the harris report.

http://www.boycott-canada.com/assets/docs/Harp%20seal%20modelling%20report%20final%20final.doc

so how come none of these animal rights sites have pictures of cute little cockroaches and rats being sprayed with poison, or lovely chickens being killed in slaughterhouses?

Do you have any information that doesn't come from an obviously biased website? Statistics and facts can be skewed to promote one idea over another.

Also, what does the fact that "some" Americans take part in this have to do with anything? It was nice how you first stated that is was MOSTLY Americans doing this and when you admitted to being wrong, you made a point to state that there were still some involved. Why is this?

Um, hello!I just said that I am not so naive as to belive that people will feel sorry for the not so cute animals as well! Read, WP, read!

Erm, Professor Harris is a leading authoruty on the situation in Canada, so I don't see how you can say that his views are biased; he is simply reported his findings.

Well, like you said, I admitted I was wrong. And it is important, as a major argument for the seal culls is that it is necessary for the fishermen to survive. So what business do Americans have there? But, like I said, I was wrong about the figures.

The nationality of those taking part in the hunt is of no consequence. Why bring it up? Even if it does include non-Canadians, I'm certain that the Canadian Government was getting income from the sales of hunting permits to these foreign nationals.

It is important when one of the reasons that the Canadian government gives for the hunt is that it benefits the local fishermen economically. Outsiders take a share of the produce, and less money goes to the fishermen.

Yeah, the annual seal culling is inhumane!

My arms are about to fall off!

some persepective from a friend of mine who lives on the east coast of canada.

a little late but interesting.

-----------

i hear alot about seal hunting out here, especially from
newfoundlanders. here's the local perspective...

in Newfoundland, at least, not only is seal hunting a traditional
practice for aboriginal peoples, but for non-aboriginals as well (at
least since settlement in the 1600s). For both, seal hunting has
been in the past, and remains, an essential part of the family
economy; with the decline in the fisheries, high unemployment rates,
the many isolated rural communities -- consumption of seal meat, and
the sale of pelts and oils make a huge difference to the basic
survival of many people. Seal hunting went commercial in the late
1800s into the 20th century, but has always also been practiced as
part of the family economy.

Seals are clubbed for several reasons. although it may appear to be
more gruesome, clubbing is argued to be more humane than using
firearms. The hunter is able to get really close to the animal, the
club has a metal hook-like spikey thing on the end, the seal is
clubbed over the head, and dies immediately. Accuracy -- besides the
fact that using guns from longer-range to kill the animal has a
higher risk of only wounding the animal, thus prolonging death,
shooting the seal can spoil both the meat and the pelt. So, clubbing
is more precise, effective, efficient, and doesn't ruin the meat or
the pelt. And, besides all of that, it's the way it's always been
done.

I don't know much about this "culling" business, but I have to say
that I support the violent murder of the cute and fluffy big-eyed
seals, (who are, by the way, obnoxious and sometimes vicious animals
in real life that you can never, never pet) as far as seal hunting
in Newfoundland by individuals in outport and rural regions,
especially, and by aboriginal groups as part of their traditional
lifestyle...

Didn't notice this new post, so here is my very late response:

This does not explain the commercial seal hunt. Way too many seals are being killed, and if the seal cull is such an important means of survival to the newfoundlands, they should attempt to have it regulated more strictly, because in a few years, there won't be any seals left to hunt, if the hunt continues.

As I said earlier, I agree that the use of the Hakapik is a more humane way of killing the seal. however, your friend is wrong when he says that the seals die instantly. they do not. many seals take hours to die. This is because the hunters are too obnoxious to check whether that seal is dead before moving on to another seal.

Um....... So, because an animal is viscious, and 'un-pettable', they should be killed? very strange outlook, that.....

For those who are interested

I found an award winning documentary produced by the Humane Society of the United States regarding the seal hunt. https://community.hsus.org/ct/u7AWfjF1MXm_/

i just read this thread and you should believe that these people, killing the seals, will get whats coming to them. i am no saint but what goes around comes around. KARMA

I just thought I'd remind you all that the Annual Canadian Seal Cull starts soon. Expect bloody waters and stained ice.

I thought this might be of interest to some of you on MAP

http://www.ifaw.org/ifaw/general/default.aspx?oid=85342

Akasha - thank you for bringing this issue back up. It is important and more so now that fur is back on the catwalks as a trend this season. It is just sick.

Canuck - go jump.

Imagine if I clubbed a human child to death and stripped its skin off for the latest look?

Back