Seal Culls

Just out of curiosity is there really a reason to revive this thread? Is there ONE single new thing that anyone has to discuss on the issue that was not covered last year?

Something I meant to post quite a while ago, but I didn't have the time to revive this thread:

To all those that jump on the bandwaggon of the fact that Harp Seals deplete the cod supply, and therefore the cull is necessary to maintain a strong economy, I will remind you that Cod make up approximately 3% of the Harp Seals diet. The scientific community agrees that the true cause of the depletion of fish stocks off Canada's East Coast is human over-fishing, and the seal population are being used as a scapegoat to the Canadian governments incompetence. There is absolutely no scientific evidence that the supply of cod is in danger from Harp Seals. None at all. In fact, there is evidence to suggest that the seal population actually helps sustain the number of Cod, as the seals eat some of the larger fish that predate on cod. Therefore, the seal cull could actually have a negative affect on the Cod population.

wild pitch - I think its good for people to be reminded of these issues as we tend to forget in the pace of our daily lives and our own world. Its a reminder that there is a bigger world out there and just for one new person to become aware of the situation is a positive thing.

Yes, there is a point, and I will continue to revive this thread. The point is that the cull exists, and the more people that know the truth of what goes on the better.

And you will continue to regurgitate the same points over and over.. and over.. and over.

wild pitch - maybe you can help me reenact a seal clubbing?

There are some issues that need to be brought to the fore front over and over again. Everyone has a different cause and it can be at a local to an international level.

I'd like to think that as a human being and an MA'ist I'd take action to give a voice to those that don't have one. Wild pitch, you just come across as a very small person.

That is true, simply because I have a different view of this issue than you I am a very small person.

Wild pitch - are you dumb or just stupid? Its not your views I'm commenting on, its the fact that you're attacking Akasha for reviving this thread. If you want to comment on the issue (seal culls) then go for it.

Don't ask him to justify reviving this thread (you're lucky he didn't start a bunch of threads in off-topic but just recycled the thread instead).

At least I will be regurgitating the facts.

Thanks for the support Lily. It's nice to know there are some members of MAP that are conscientious enough to see oputside their own front room.

Some interesting statistics:

Survey on Canadians’ Attitudes Towards the Seal Hunt

Strongly support 10%
Somewhat support 19%
Somewhat oppose 19%
Strongly oppose 45%
DK / NA 8%

Strongly agree 62%
Somewhat agree 14%
Somewhat disagree 10%
Strongly disagree 11%
DK / NA 2%

Strongly support 54%
Somewhat support 19%
Somewhat oppose 9%
Strongly oppose 13%
DK / NA 5%

Strongly agree 57%
Somewhat agree 13%
Somewhat disagree 13%
Strongly disagree 15%
DK / NA 2%

Strongly agree 50%
Somewhat agree 29%
Somewhat disagree 11%
Strongly disagree 7%
DK / NA 3%

Strongly support 7%
Somewhat support 15%
Somewhat oppose 28%
Strongly oppose 47%
DK / NA 4%

Strongly agree 27%
Somewhat agree 36%
Somewhat disagree 20%
Strongly disagree 12%
DK / NA 5%

Very upset 4%
Somewhat upset 12%
Not very upset 14%
Not upset at all 69%
DK / NA 1%

This is awful. It sickens me to just read it

How can people do and support such a thing?

You could offer £1million and i wouldnt kill a seal or any other animal for that matter.

sad day but the world is a cruel place.

The thing that gets me about this is that while I have an immediate gut reaction against seal culling I don't think that is the best position from which to begin researching the reality of the situation. I have a feeling that too many people see a picture that moves them then go and read anti-culling websites without properly researching the other side. I'm sorry to say Akasha that having just re-read the thread your arguments come across abit like this... such as posting videos and saying are you not moved?

Of course videos of human slaughtering animals is moving and it looks pretty barbaric to someone like me who doesn't regularly kill anything but because it emotionally feels wrong doesn't mean it is wrong or at least no less wrong necessarily than any other human commercial killing of animals. I'm with the rest of the people on this site that if it was a rat cull or a spider cull you wouldn't have nearly a tenth of the interest in this topic- and that's important because trying to argue that its about the facts but then admitting that the facts wouldnt be so important if it was an ugly animal somewhat undermines that argument!

I'm gonna have a proper look into the information before I take a stance on this subject but I do think just reading to confirm your initial reaction is the wrong way to look at any subject.

I'd kill a seal if you let me eat it.

Natural selection = some are hunters, some are prey. Just happens that 98% of the time the hunter = man.

Im an avid hunter. I have been for most of my life, I see nothing wrong with it.

cue sera sera

Again i see your point. Its what you have grown up with i take it. I havent.

Its just something im not into.

Back