Seal Culls

AmandaLynn

Mar 20, 2008
In Canada, thousands of Seals have been brutally murdered, beaten to death, skinned alive, and left to die, by cruel, evil, greedy, disgusting men/women, for no reason other than the fact that they find it fun. It is a sport to them. They see no reason why they should stop, and have actually got the courts of the United States and Canadian governments on their side. The U.S. courts have banned members of Animal Shelters and Charities from making a prescence at the culls, from taking video footage, etc. But, this has not fased the charities, and they continue to take video footage, and to interfere with hunts. In Canada, the courts have said that the hunters bring money to the economy. However, in reality, the money brought in by hunters is almost nothing. Canada's fishing industry annually exports around $3bn of seafood to the US while the seal hunt generates just $16.5m from pelt sales.

Yes, it is true that certain breakthhroughs have come about. Some people are now refusing to buy fish products imported from Canada, in a hope that their economy will become so damaged that they will have to ban Seal Culls. But this is not enough! In order for this to work, a total boycott of fish products would have to be enforced. School children, the person liveing next door, the woman who lives up the road, the man who walks in the street, the government, all must be informed of what is happening. The famous should use their status to bring the word to the masses (Pamela Anderson has already done this, but again, one person is not enough).

Have a look at this webpage, where, if you look at the video, you'll see some examples of seal killing. There are videos on www.ifaw.org that show this better, but I can not access them at the moment.

This is not about the purpose of one charity. It is about the responsibility of all good human beings out there to make a difference. The only way to beat the courts is to have public supports. This is how fox hunting became outlawed in the UK. The only way to get public support is to spread the word, to educate.

Join http://www.ifaw.org to see how you can make a difference.

I have tryed to get hold of some footage of these hunts that were taken by IFAW to show you how disgusting some of the things that go on are, but my computer won't let me load it on to MAP at the moment. So instead, i have atatched a picture. But it can all be found at the IFAW website.

Thank you for reading this, and to those who try to make a difference, I thank you also.

Gareth

god damm canadians, the leaders of said seal killing groups should be forced to fight a large male walrus...and then his remains thus fed to a polar bear.

this is sick, im suprised this still happens.

i live in canada and have never heard of this. If you are going to get people to care then you will have to make this better known. I personally am not a big animals rights person so i am not going to stop eating fish.

As a Canadian I am certainly not proud of the fact that this kind of thing is happening in my country, but a boycott on fish products is going to have absolutely no effect on the situation. Until people stop wanting to wear seal fur garments it will continue, much like the whale hunting that continues even though that too is uneccesary and illegal.

It's a better death than the seals receive from polar bears. Would you prefer they be killed via gunfire or electrical shock?

Pass the Canadian fish! I respect the culture of others and will gladly eat Canadian fish.

Whale hunting is also part of other people's culture. Whether seal or whale hunting, Nature is red in tooth and claw and this is a good teaching tool to instruct the soft city-bred among us.

When a polar bear kills something it eats it.
When one of those canadians kills a seal it wears it.
Big difference.

Firstly, whilst it may be a nicer death than being killed by a polar bear, that is what is called 'Survival of the Fittest'. It is nature, and therefore Natural. Humans are taking this all out of context. We very rarely hunt for food anymore. We hunt for fun; for sport. That is disgusting. The fact that I find the cruel killing of animals for fun to be disgusting does not make me a soft city-bred guy, but a decent human being. Nature may well be red in tooth and claw, but as i said, that is a means of survival. Those seals are being killed by the polar bear so that the polar bear can survive. However they are being killed by those hunters for fun. Whilst all of what I have written above may be counter argued with "Yeah, but that is nature", that retort is utter crap! Do you think those hunters actually need to kill those seals? Do you think they would die if they didn't No! They are just vile people who take pleasure in bruatally killing innocent animals. If they needed to, like does the polar bear, then that is different. That is nature.

Man is part of Nature. We kill to survive.

The hunters kill to make a living, to survive. The polar bear enjoys killing as well and will sometimes kill just to kill.

If you do not wish to respect their culture, that is your choice. However, do not impose your morality on all of humanity.

With the greatest respect, you are talking out of your arse.

There are lots of instances where mankind doesn't kill to survive, but for sport. Everyone knows that.

The 'respect for culture' argument is a load of manure too. If there was a country which raped human babies for fun (for example) then would we respect it as being part of their 'culture'? Of course not.

Now my understanding of the seal cull is that it is done to keep the numbers down, in order to preserve fish stocks. But surely it could be done in a more humane way than clubbing them to death?

No. Very rarely will you find cases of man killing to survive. Yes, indigenous tribes have to kill to survive, as do other tribes such as Inuit, etc. But these people only make up a small percentage of the worlds population. Also, they do not hunt massive ammounts of the same animal at the same time. They take what they need. That way, the species does not become unnaturally endangered. However, these seal hunters do not kill to make a living. These hunters have to actually pay a hell of a lot of money to go on those seal hunts. And even if it was to make a living, they could easily get another job.

Polar bears do not kill for fun. Only humans, and dolphins kill for fun. Polar bears kill to survive.

How can I respect a culture that kills for fun? Do you respect the culture of serial killers like The Yorkshire Ripper, Ted Bundy, etc? No? What a surprise that is. So i think that I have a right, if not a duty, to impose my moralistic views on this subject to all humanity. If you choose not to listen, then fine, that is your perogative. But others may want to.

as a candian i would like to add..

AHH SAVE TEH BABY SEALS!!! THEY ARE SO CUTE!!

ONLY KILL THE UGLY ANIMALS LIKE COWS AND PIGS!!!

jesus there is so much misinformation about this hunt.

the seal's meat / bones and fat are used for food and as a source of omega 3 oils. these fishermen do not just throw away the rest of the carcass.

this hunt is not for fun or sport it is an important source of income for very poor families who live in small fishing villages with little access to jobs. baby seals are NOT culled anymore and have not been since the late 80s. the seal population is at the highest it has been since the 70s, these seals are NOT in danger of extiniction in any way shape or form.

fair enough if you do not agree with the hunt but at least base your opinion on the facts and try not to paint these fishermen as evil despots who are beating baby seals for fun.

-Some tribes in Africa mutilate the genitals of small girls.

-Other tribes force pre-teenagers to give birth multiple times...which creates irreparable damage to their bodies, causing them to constantly urinate on themselves for the rest of their lives.

-Some of the Melanesian tribes in Fiji practice cannibalism with startling frequency, and consider human flesh a delicacy.

-Small children are brainwashed at an early age within terrorist camps in Libya. Some grow up to wear dynamite strapped to their chest...others can't wait that long, and blow themselves up before they reach teenage years.

-Several species of tiger were hunted nearly to extinction because the native Chinese herbal medicine valued their genitalia in powdered form.

----

Tolerance is wonderful...but is tolerance of injustice equally wonderful?

Is it simply ok because it isn't happening on our street? In our city? In our state?

By all means, fight for your right to be apathetic...and impede the progress of others that choose not to believe what you do.

{btw.... I fixed the links in the original thread if anyone cares to have a look at that site.)

The hunt began 166 days ago and already 33,0421 seals have been killed.

Boycott Canada !!!!! .... it happens to be #4 on this list of other things you can do to protect the seals
http://www.hsus.org/marine_maofftopicls/protect_seals/protect_seals_what_you_can_do/

(I love the "Club sandwiches, not Seals" shirts ... I gots to get me one of those!)

More sites:

http://www.harpseals.org/
http://www.hsus.org/protect_seals.html (

Did you not read my earlier post. If you had, you would have seen me saying something along the lines of "these people actually pay a hell of a lot of money to partake in these hunts". The majority of these hunters are not Canadian. they are American. And yes, whilst I agree that a certain amount of hunting the seals is nesessary for certain peoples survival, as i stated earlier, this is nture, and these people are not endangering the entire species by taking more than they need. When you talk about the extinction of the seals, I did not nescessarily mean that hunting seals is the only form of hunting that has endangered species; look at what happened to the buffalo. And yes, you are right, the seal population is not as of yet endangered, but a few more years of hunting on this scale, and they will be.

Also, if you had read my earlier post, you will have noticed that I provoded the link http://www.ifaw.org. Now, you say that the hunting of baby seals was outlawed in the 80's. You're right, but that does not mean that it does not go on. I have seen several video's of baby seals being clubbed, kicked, and generally beaten to death, at the hand of the cruel hunters.

Read above, and make sure that you learn the facts.

can you point me to some reading that backs this statement up... because my reading even on anti-seal hunt pages seems to say..

In Newfoundland, where over 90% of sealers live, income from the seal hunt accounts for less 0.5 percent of the province’s economy. Less than one percent of Newfoundlanders participate in the seal hunt.

i did not know so many newfoundlanders were american.

i looked i can not find anything that says these hunters are mostly american, or that they pay large amounts of money to take part in the hunt. if you can point out exactly where it says this i would appreciate it.

Back