Seal Culls

If seals weren't cute and furry nobody would care that they were being killed or how they were being killed.

Get over it.

Sgt Major - hunt to eat, fine in my books.

CKava - thanks for at least thinking about doing some research into the subject

Rags - this thread is about Seals, doesn't mean we don't care about the other needlees slaughter of animals. Get a life.

bird species are wiped out every day because of logging in south america, if you are going to get hopped up about somethign maybe it should be that? oh wait, birds aren't nearly as cute as seals

Boxerboy - as I've mentioned before, this thread is about Seals as an example. Instead of attacking..........oh god, I can't even be bothered.

To be fair this is what these fishermen are doing, this seal hunt puts food on their families tables.

I don't think you are aware of the reality of what life is like in these coastal fishing villages in eastern Canada. These villages are often a number of houses spread along the highway, a cannery an hour up the road, a harbour and nothing but water, rocks and trees for hours and hours in each direction.

If you are lucky a local shop that has staples.. and groceries.

Firat of all, thank you for taking the time to browse through this thread. However, if you had looked properly, you would see that the majority of my argument has been by posting facts about the cull, and i have posted only a very very small number of pictures or videos. The basis for my argument is not "Ooooh, look at the cute seal dying", it is the posting of facts that determine the pointlessness of the cull.

Once again, you are negating the parts of my argument that stupify yours, i.e. all of it. As I have posted, the income from the cull ammounts to only 5% of the Newfoundlanders annual income, so it's not realy putting food on their table, is it?

Congratulations! You get the award for posting the most original post of this thread! (In case you didn't notice, I was being sarcastic)

Akasha, I applaud your cause.. not your methods

you paint them as people that purely hunt for fun and in your first post claim they dispose of the meat........ both obvious lies

here is the canadian govt's position from 2005 explained:
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/misc/Seal_briefing_e.htm

on the 2006 socio-economic factors... not agenda based lies:
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/seal-phoque/reports-rapports/facts-faits/facts-faitsSE_e.htm

From the second link so all can read:

Socio-economic Importance of the Seal Hunt

The Seal Hunt is Important

In Newfoundland and Labrador at least 7 coastal communities derived between 15% and 35% of their total earned income from sealing. That is income for everyone in the community combined.

Sealers state their income from sealing can represent from 25-35% of their total annual income.

Although sealing may seem to be a minor industry within the larger economy, many locally-important industries share this characteristic. For example, crop production and forestry each account for less than 1% of Canadian GDP, but their local economic importance is indisputable.

The top homeports for sealers have unemployment rates over 30% higher than the national average.
The Seal Hunt is Valuable

While the value of the seal hunt may appear negligible to some, it is tremendously valuable to those individuals who use it as a source of income at a time of year when economic opportunities are limited in many remote, coastal communities.

The 2006 seal hunt was one of the most profitable in memory. Given extremely favourable market conditions, the landed value of the harp seal hunt was $33 million.

The average price per pelt received by sealers was $97, an increase of 77% over the 2005 average value of $55.
The Seal Hunt Impacts Canadians

Seals have been harvested for food, fuel, shelter and other products for hundreds of years. The subsistence hunt is a valuable link to our cultural heritage.

Small sealing communities do a lot with a little but do not have many alternative earnings or work options.

Most sealers are fishers who participate in other fisheries. The seal hunt provides them with the income needed to pay expenses such as insurance and fishing gear.

In 1983, the European Economic Community banned the importation of whitecoats and bluebacks. The demand for seal pelts declined which resulted in a dramatic decrease in price. In Labrador alone, the lost sealing revenue reduced total Inuit income by one-third.
Seal Products

The Government of Canada encourages the fullest possible use of seals with the emphasis on leather, oil, handicrafts, and in recent years, meat for human and animal consumption.

All seal pelts undergo some processing within Canada, creating employment opportunities in plants. Between six and eight facilities have participated in seal processing in recent years, four of which are in Newfoundland and the remainder in Quebec.

Seal oil, once extracted, is marketed in capsule form which is rich in Omega-3 acids. The fatty acids are known to be helpful in preventing and treating hypertension, diabetes, arthritis and many other health problems. Seal oil capsules for human consumption are marketed as a health food supplement.

Let me guess, you have never had to raise a family and pay the bills on a pittance of a salary have you? Try just not working for 3-4 months a year and see how you do.

If you are very poor and just scraping by month to month ANY money not in your pocket is going to cause major issues, and as Kmguy has said upthread the actual percentage is much higher than 5%.

income = financial gain .... so yeah maybe the cull = 5% financial gain. But eating the pups does not = financial gain!

And for the record Ive also hunted and not eaten my kill. Mostly crows, pigeons, but also ducks, rabbits, fox etc.

You seem to be a bit too quick to dismiss 5% of an income (numbers which are off anyway), as when you are on the edge of true poverty, 5% can mean the difference between going hungry and eating.

You are a bit too quick to toe the party line and a lot of what is published about seal culls is actually blatant lies.

Also.. these people do not live on any kind of year to year fixed salary. If it is a bad year then they make even less money. They can not even expect to make a certain amount a year and plan out their finances to take that into account.

If there is a use for killing seals that is valuable to us, go for it! As long as we conserve their population. For example, we brutally murder cows everyday as a human race but we make sure there are plenty around.

Indeed; Akasha, your "facts" all come from biaised organisations that have too much vested interests in the subject matter to be objective.

Animalist organisations like the Humane Society and the various Greenpeace-like organisations get a lot of funding thanks to their opposition to seal culling. Quite litterally, these organisation simply have to show a few videos of the cull on TV to get thousands in funding!

If you understand french, I suggest you look for information about Phoques - Le Film. This movie was made by Raoul Jomphe, a former anti-cull activist (and a vegetarian above all!), which by covering objectively the cull made startling discoveries.

Most surprising is what some activists themselves do to the seals they film. For instance, dying seals kept alive by activists so their agony can be filmed.

Here's an interview with the guy on the most popular talkshow in Quebec (in french)

Same video as before, but check at 1 minute 20 seconds, there is the video of that happening.

From the start of the first link there are errancies.

Sustainable: as I have posted before, the cull is not humane. Pro-cullers argue that the seal population is higher than it was 30 years ago. This is indeed true, but what they don't tell you is that 30 years ago, the seal population was incredibly low due to over-culling, and culling had to be banned to reinstate the population. As it stands now, the cullers are actually kiling more seal than what were being killed in the 1950's (which is what led to near extinction of the population). As Dr Stephen Harris states

In any case, it is very hard to actually estimate the number of seals in canada, and two aspects make the Canadian harp seal population model unsafe: (i) it assumes that many variables such as the environment and food availability play no part in determining numbers of harp seals; and (ii) it assumes that all the input variables into the model are accurate.
Significantly, the model fails to take into account many variables that can affect harp seal numbers. These include environment unpredictability, climate change and the bioaccumulation of anthropogenic toxins, which in turn reduce reproductive rates and increase mortality. When so many variables are unknown, a precautionary approach should be applied. However, no such measure is applied to the Canadian management plan.

Here are some estimated figures, but, as I said, estimating is hard

Year    Estimated Pups    SE    Method    Reference
1978    497,000    ± 34,000    CMR    Roff & Bowen (1986)
1979    478,000    ±35,000    CMR    Roff & Bowen (1986
1980    475,000    ± 47,000    CMR    Roff & Bowen (1986)
1983    475,000    ± 33,000    CMR    Warren et al. (1997)
1990    577,900    ± 38,800    V, P    Stenson et al. (2003)
1994    708,400    ± 67,000    V, P    Stenson et al. (2003)
1999    997,900    ± 102,200    V, P    Stenson et al. (2003)
2004    991,400    ± 58,200    V, P    Stenson et al. (2005)

Viable: Again, as I have posted, the cull is not viable. The reasons given by the DFO is that the Harp Seal population eat cod. But Cod makes up only one percent of the harp seals diet.

Humane: seals are being left suffering, skinned alive, and bleeding to death, all because the cullers are too lazy to do the job properly.

I have not got the time to go through the whole page pointing out the mistakes, but if anybody wishes to draw a point forward, by all means do so, and I will answer.

Again in the second link, I have not the time to properly read through. However, i have no idea where they got their figure of the income of the cull being 15% of the newfoundlanders income. It is 5%, and I have posted evidence for this.

I have not used completely biased sources. As you may have read, I posted the harris report. Dr Harris is a non-biased veterinarian who analysed the cull and drwe his own conclusions. He has written many papers on the matter. i can post them if you wish.

Sorry, I don't speak French.

lol... now you do not have time the read the detailed reply arguement
the lamest reply ever

i was hoping you were bright and idealistic... not daft

Well, as I have been working for 13 hours today, I didn't really want to have to write an essay on the errancies in that link. Some of us hapen to have have lives outside of our computers.

Back