Which sports bike would you consider for your first?

Kenneth

May 21, 2008
Received my license recently after completing the MSF course. I live in a high traffic area, so I would have to use the highways to get to work (DMV). I've found a used 2009 ninja 250 going for 3600 (they are including a helmet, jacket, gloves, and car cover). I also fund a 2002 zx6 going for 1800 (scratches on left fairing). Which would be ideal to start on and also travel long distances (3+ hours).

The zx6 is a is a sport bike. The riding position is has your legs bent under and are leaning forward on your hands. It is designed to go fast, it is not designed for comfort.

The Ninja 250 is a sporty bike, a cross between a sport bike and a standard motorcycle. It is less crunched than a sport bike, much comfortable, is capable of riding over three hours without physical pain.

You can also look for a standard, hard to find. The Suzuki TU250 is a standard, an upright position, legs under you so you can easily stand off the pegs to keep your ass off saddle on bumps -- pot holes, rail tracks, dips, speed bumps, etc..

You can look at cruisers, gots lots of cruisers. Also upright, but with your feet forward with you sitting on a rocking chair position. Not as easy to stand on the pegs in the bumps.

My bike is a 650cc single cruiser, fast enough, comfortable, easy for new riders, capable for an older rider.

If this is your first ever bike I'd tend to recommend against that ZX6R. Why do you suppose the fairing's scratched & it's for sale? Maybe someone bit off more than he can chew, so don't be the next person to make the same mistake on that same bike!
The Ninja 250 is fine for urban combat, although I'd buy a new helmet even if the used one fits, as you never know if it was, you know, USED. Helmets work by absorbing the hit into the lining, which delaminates, and you can't see that it has delaminated. But that sounds like a good deal, too.
If your skills are up to it and you feel confident there are bikes in the 400 to 600 cc range that are tractable enough to be first bikes. The 636 Ninja, Versys, ER6n come to mind as far as Kawasakis. But I'd say stay away from the 600/675 supersports, too hard edged, especially if you want to go on longer rides.

Well, I don't personally ride, but I know many who do, and there's a couple things I've learned from them. One is that a tank humper is about the most uncomfortable thing to ride for more than 45 minutes, so if you are going to ride for 3+ hours, you will get off with a tremendous backache.

Secondly, from what some people have told me, a 600cc bike is actually harder to ride than a 1000cc bike, but something like the Ninja 250cc is a good learner bike because it doesn't have enough power to do a LOT of damage, but still enough to get you in trouble.

Back