What would be a really good first sport bike for under 4,500 used? Would a 500/600

MountainGoat1

Nov 21, 2012
be too big? Ive always wanted a bike, and i promised myself i would get one soon after i got my drivers license. I get my license soon, this coming April. I'm getting it relatively late, considering i will be 17 in may, but its not a big deal. Anyways, it just occurred to me the other day i haven't even considered the idea of getting a bike. I don't have a job at the moment, and its not a top priority, but i still want to start looking.

I really dont want anything smaller than a 300. I like 250s and all, but I have heard the extra 50cc's makes a big difference in the power over the 250. Please dont take me as a bonehead looking to go speeding down the main streets in my city, i just want something that has a little more power to work with.
So far the only 300 I have seen is the ninja, and it looks decent. I also got a quote from all state today ( with some false personal info) that tells me insurance would be less than 80 a month with a clean slate driving record. That doesn't look nearly as high as i thought it would be.

Are there any other 300s out there that would make a good first bike? Please don't exclude larger bikes because i am free to any recommendations ( You guys are probably stupid to recommend a 600 anyways). I was looking at cbr500r and apparently they aren't very popular, although i havent investigated as to why. Thanks!

PS: I happen to be a big fan of the cbr, ninja, and gsx-r. Im biggest fan of the ninja though, because my dad used to take me on rides on his zx11. Fun as hell. He set some good examples by taking me down a back road across the highway at 150 mph. Talk about scary shit, being on the back and all. All im saying, anything from those makes would be a good suggestion on a personal like scale.

After taking a Basic Riders Course, ride what you want to live or die on.
My recommendation is start small, learn to ride and move up as you learn.

Though some think me foolish I ardently believe in Harley-Davidson Sportsters as a great first bike.

First they have good brakes for beginners.

Secondly they have tractable power, which is good in some situations. One doesn't need to use as much throttle much of the time and one can practice SMOOTH application of power rather than rev up and pray one doesn't run out of top end torque at nearly every intersection. And when one is that smooth the heavier nature of the bike keeps it planted better.

Thirdly its a HARLEY. You've impressed the crowd merely by showing up. Everybody knows it ain't the fastest bike there so you don't feel the need to express yourself in strange contests (except for the uphill roll on contest, which is kinda fun on a Harley Davidson because you win so much against other like priced used bikes ~ and it's safe ~ that's where you test the torque of the machine going up a hill without shifting because that is how cowboys do it...).

I've ridden to a few oceans and for my money there are few bikes I'd rather go with than Harley (BMW, TRIUMPH, NORTON, etc. ). But go with the smaller ones (middle ones now I guess ~ I've ridden big bore singles and feel they can be too torque laden for beginners). The Sporsters are easier to learn on, I think.

150 is a long slide if one falls down. I fell off at 50 and rolled and rolled and rolled and where I stopped was next to a drainage ditch. I was glad I was not doing 90, or I'd have been in that ditch.

I've seen the debris that was a perfectly good Suzuki three minutes earlier when it passed me going to Louden to the races. There aren't that many clear straights where I live that will accommodate a fall and roll or slide to stop from 150 without bouncing against something and helmets are good for about 35mph. (AND EVEN THEN YOU MIGHT DIE, or worse).

Get an airplane if you want to do 150.

Well I'm 15 and iv had my zx6r since last year and its a great bike to ride, comfortable and fast but the thing with a 600 is it may be just a 600 but you always need to respect the power, I would just go and throw a leg over a fee different bikes ( 250 300 600 ect.) and see what fits you, don't try to get a big bike you can't handle, and if you find one you like look more into that bike, hope this helps

Ah.................................ok. SQUID. You're kidding right? Starting out with false info to insurance companies isn't a good start.

They probably won't pay your survivor benefits.

Wear a helmet.

Good luck.

Re 250 cc bike..

Dude, you've never ridden before and you want "a little more power to work with"? lol.

How about you LEARN HOW TO RIDE FIRST!? Come on, chill out and get serious. I've been riding for 22 years and I just bought a 99 Ninja 250 last summer to blast around on. It's one of the funnest bikes ever produced! It has PLENTY OF POWER for an experienced rider, never mind a newbie. It's faster 0-60 than ninety percent of cars on the road and it will top out at close to 100 miles an hour, What more do you want? You're worried about more power AND you've never even ridden before???? Forget about 500cc and 600cc bikes until you learn to ride. A Ninja 250 is the perfect "sport" bike to learn on and you WILL NEVER outgrow it. After you learn to ride for you may want a bigger bike, but you don't need a bigger bike, you don't need more power. Get a used Ninja 250 for $2,000-$3000 range and take it slow, take the motorcycle safety course and get at least 10,000 miles under your belt before you move up to a bigger bike.

Back