You don't hear much talk about Judaism here. Atheists/Christians, why do you...

MreMarsh

Mar 1, 2013
...reject Judaism? Atheists, I know "Because there is no G-d" is the obvious answer, but can you go into more detail? What about the Torah and Judaism do you not like and why?

Christians, why do you believe the myth of Jesus' birth in Bethlehem when it was proven that it would be impossible for Mary and Joseph to make the trek to Bethlehem during that time of year?

Christianity is a Jewish sect because it is established on the teachings of the Jewish Messiah.

I've read all sorts of blasphemous criticism of Christianity but claiming that Mary's trip from Nazareth to snow free Bethlehem was impossible is deserving of some sort of special honor.:hammer punch:

Here is a good description of Mary's trip to participate in the census count:

" With a census like this involving as many people as it did, a caravan going to Bethlehem would not be hard to find or join. Caravans would travel about 20 miles in a day, and the distance between Nazareth and Bethlehem (80 miles) would translate into a 4-day journey."

During what time of year? Mary and Joseph would not have gone to Bethlehem when she was 9 months pregnant, if that's what you mean. Roman law forbade a pregnant woman to travel after her 6th month. Most likely Mary and Joseph set out for Bethlehem somewhere between her 3rd and 5th month of pregnancy. The story of them being turned out by the innkeeper is not exactly correct. It is tradition; however, we have misinterpreted the word 'inn' .
Bethlehem did not have a lot of people back then. It was a very small town, perhaps of about 200 or 300 people. Since Joseph' s family line came from Bethlehem, there would have been a family home there. In Bible days it was common for a newly married couple to build on a room to the family home, and families dwelt together. Joseph would have been returning to the family home, known as the inn. The house would have been filled with many travelers there for the census. When the time came for the birth of Christ, the place was full of relatives, so they probably decided to give them some privacy by sending them down to the stable, located under the house, because there was no room for them to have a private room in the inn. The modern day story of the innkeeper turning away a pregnant woman about to give birth is simply impossible, because hospitality was everything to Jewish society. I have been to Bethlehem. It is still small; the house they think was probably the one that Jesus was born in had a stable underneath.
Even if they did arrive on the night of the birth, a proper Jewish innkeeper would have offered his own bed. So we know the traditional story has been misinterpreted simply because people do not understand Jewish culture or history.
The trip from Nazareth to Bethlehem is only about 4 days journey, so it wouldn't have taken that long to get there. It is not a myth. There was a census taken that year; Josephus records it in his writings of Jewish history.
As far as why we reject Judaism- that is simple- Jesus has fulfilled the law. The law Moses was given to show us that it is impossible to keep the law; thus we need a Savior, who could offer us grace. Sacrifices are no longer necessary for sin- because Jesus has paid the price for sin, and the way to God has been opened; thus the Old Covenant is no longer valid. Jesus made a new covenant for those who believe that He alone lived a perfect life, and was able to enter into the heavenly holy of holies and offer up His own perfect blood to wipe away the sins of mankind. All who believe in Him as Lord and Savior are deemed innocent before God now.

I just don't believe it I don't necessarily reject it but its not our fault there is not a lot of talk

I am an Orthodox Jew but why on earth does not accepting Judaism equate to rejecting it? They are free to believe what they want...as am I.

Jews frequently get accused of rejecting jesus. We didn't or we wouldn't have anymore than we reject mohammed, buddha, the dali lama etc etc. We don't reject them. We just don't accept them as our own. Other people accept them and that is fine. We only are put into a position of rejecting jesus when he is shoved down our throats. When it is "convert or die" many of us reject and over years, many have died (yes, some have accepted, sometimes at the point of a sword)

Why do you assume they dislike Torah, Jews, Judaism etc, just because they have another belief or do not believe in G-d at all.

I find the question strange. Just because the debate on YA is more about xians/atheists does not mean either group reject us (actually many of the xians want to convert us and many of the atheists want to tell us how stupid we are) but I just don't think not accepting our faith as their own is a rejection of us. That's really cynical. Just my opinion

There is general agreement that Jesus was born "while shepherds were in the fields with their flocks" -- the spring. The *celebration of his birth was intentionally moved to Christianize and redeem the existing pagan celebrations around the winter solstice. It seems implausible to "prove" that Mary and Joseph couldn't travel the few miles from Bethlehem to Jerusalem in winter, but since he was born in the spring, that proof is irrelevant.

Christianity began among those Jews who recognized Jesus as the prophesied Messiah. Its roots are deep in Judaism. Then came the grafting on of the Gentiles, as Christ became the light of the nations, too.

Forgive me.
/Orthodox
About Orthodox Christianity: http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/introduction
http://www.antiochian.org http://saintnicholas.ucoz.com/index/intro_to_orthodoxy/0-14

Back