Doesn't Islam hold a more positive view of Jesus than Judaism...............?

Janhoi

Oct 20, 2011
As a Christian myself I find it ironic that many Evangelical Christians, particularly in the United States, have this overwhelmingly negative view of Islam while at the same time have an overwhelmingly positive view of Judaism considering what both religions believe about Jesus.

In Islam, they believe in the Virgin Birth, believe Jesus is a Prophet sent from Allah, and even the Messiah. They just disagree with Christians over Jesus being the Son of God. Judaism on the other hand sees Jesus at best as being just an ordinary Jewish preacher who was crucified by the Romans, at worst as being a dangerous heretic who is responsible for centuries of Anti Semitism. The Rabbi Moses Maimonides for instance, when referring to Jesus, speaks about how "may his bones be grounded into dust."

So with that in mind, why is that in many Christian circles today, Islam gets a bad rap, while Judaism is held up extremely highly? Particularly amongst Evangelicals who tend to be Christian Zionists, and wanna back the State of Israel as a pretext to initiating armaggedon.
@Rory.....Let me spell this out. I AM CHRISTIAN. So I am not trying to defend Muhammad. But I dont get how Islam gets such a bad rap from many of my fellow Christians, while Judaism and the Jews in generally are held up so highly, when Islam has more positive things to say about Jesus than Judaism
@Vicki.......couldn't you make the same argument for Judaism as well? In fact historically speaking Judaism has actually had a more positive view of Islam than Christianity. This is because, to many Jews, they believe Christianity has pagan elements because of the Trinity and the Divinity of Jesus. With Islam, many Jews will at least conceed what they see as a strict monotheism

Now, I am a Christian here, remember. But I am just looking at the facts
@Jesus is the only way..........I guess then on that world view the Jews are on their way to Hell as well, because they deny Jesus is the Son of God as well.

Also, just on a side note, the Rapture is complete heresy. 1 Thessalonians does not say that we'll be swooped up into the sky and watch all the death and destruction going down on the earth below, and then come back down. First Thessalonians is simply talking about the Second Coming, which Christ himself warned not to speculate about.
@Polskajason, that's my point. For Jews, they are either completely indifferent to Jesus, or view him as a malicious heretic responsible for centuries of Anti Semitism.

Islam on the other hand sees Jesus as a Prophet. And yet in Evangelical circles Jewish people are idolized in a bizarre way, while Muslims are looked down upon. Its really strange

Well, in the sense that Muslims consider Jesus a prophet, while Jews don't consider Jesus really anything other than a man. He is not part of our religion at all.

I think it has less to do with the theoretical viewpoints of their philosophies, and more to do with the people who practice it.

Short answer. Yes.
The Jews dislike Jesus more than the Muslims dislike Jesus.

There are many reasons, some quite explosive. I'm sure you get my meaning. Most Christians in the west didn't care one way or the other about Islam until radical Muslims started blowing people up left and right, for no apparent reason. Little children, old grammas, young mothers, janitors, school teachers, teenagers having a snack at a cafe -- whatever. Arms and legs and heads flying around and smacking into things tends to put people off.

Now Jews (a few of them) may persecute Jewish converts to Christianity in Israel. Note: this is NOT government sanctioned -- it is ILLEGAL in Israel. In many Muslim countries, it is not only legal and encouraged, it is even done BY the government. A Muslim can be executed for converting to another religion -- that's if s/he makes it to court alive in the first place. The Jews are not attempting to violently export their religion to the world. They're mostly not even trying to make a single convert. In fact, many synagogues discourage converts as a way of making sure they want it badly enough.

So Christians dissing on Muslims isn't so very much a function of Islam's treatment of Jesus in their doctrine. It's more about how radical Muslims treat non-Muslims and about how they often treat one another -- especially how they treat their wives and daughters.

It's not because of the Jews personally that Christians "support" Jews, to a greater or lesser degree, but because God still has plans for them and Jesus is going to return there and there will be a New Jerusalem. These are biblical things.

Islam is a false religion that takes people AWAY from salvation by denying Christ's atoning work. If Christ is God but they deny it, then they deny the God of Jews and Christians. Jews are not going out trying to violently convert people like Muslims are, and if you don't think this is true, please read up on ministries that deal with persecuted Christians. In any case, Christ was a Jew, God's covenant before the new one with Christ was with the Jews - it is one line, though there is the pre-Israeli period too. Islam, on the other hand, tries to take people away from God's plan of salvation for humanity.

They have made a contrary religion, going against what God has said and done.

It's probably because Jews are a small group that doesn't proselytize. Islam is seen as a bigger threat to Christianity.

Back