i have a 92 gmc sonoma was running fine died while idleing in drive checked

SarahB

May 14, 2008
fire and fuel and have both?? fuel is clean , have pressure,injectors squrit distributor good as well as plugs and have good spark i fear wire probs or sensor tried pulling codes just dont know what else to check 92 gmc sonoma 2.8liter
turns over reppeatedly but dont start whats wrong

Last of the 2.8L engines......interesting. I will assume you have made sure your spark plugs are clean and unfouled. If the engine spins freely and easily like a sewing machine when it cranks over....it could be a timing chain.

1) check your fuel-- is it really gas or is it water? get a fuel sample and burn it to see. (safely, that is)

2) the ignition coil wire output should jump a 1 inch gap. Now check to see if spark is leaving the distributor. Do a spark output test on a plug wire.

3) Try unplugging the fuel injectors (or pulling the fuses) and supplying propane or starting fluid to see if it even tries to fire. If so, then computer is asking for too much fuel or too little. Ogle the coolant temp sensor to see if it is in spec. Then check computer grounding points on the engine block and make them clean and perfect. Beyond this, it gets wiry and treacherous....unplugging suspected sensors, and more. Cheaper for a pro to find it at this point.

4) check to see if the "check engine" light flashes a code 12 when you try to pull codes. It should.

5) check the engine mechanically with a compression tester. Also, see if you can "feel" the engine sucking in air with the throttle body wide open and the engine cranking. Any "blowback" air is a bad sign that the valves are off time or damaged. An engine with 100psi and higher will start.....below this gets really hard to start. Add oil to the cylinder through the spark plug hole and recheck compression to see if it changes anything. (a bad valve won't change its tune, because it doesn't use oil to seal itself)

I've twice had a similar problem with my Dakota.

While cranking, slightly depress the gas and hold.

Does it start and run? (Hold idle between 2-3000 RPM)

If so it's likely the problem is in the idle circuit, such as the idle air control solenoid; or whatever GMC calls it.

Back