Now that I have my HDTV, what blu-ray player should I get if I want to

timster799

Sep 6, 2008
spend less than $500? I'm buying a Blu-Ray player this weekend and would appreciate a recommendation for a great yet affordable blu-ray player (<$500). A while back everyone was suggesting PS3 because it had advanced features for playback, but now I see most new Blu-Ray standalone players offer the same thing. Assuming I have little interest in video games, which player makes the most sense for someone wanting a quality player?

PS3.

You get the Blu-Ray Player, the game system, online connection, music player, picture viewer, USB ports, etc.

I just rented a Blu-Ray movie (Forgetting Sarah Marshall), and it asked for Internet Access to load all the special features!!! So, it seem online access is becoming a must.

Yeah, crazy as it sounds, the PS3 is still the best choice for Blu-Ray. I would look less at what features you are wasting and look more at the overall quality of the unit you are buying. Speaking in terms of movie play-back alone, the PS3 is at the very top.

With a PS3 you get best of both worlds; gaming and movie viewing.

To get true HD, you will need to have an HDTV 1080p and a Blue-ray Disc player, along with an HDMI cable to connect the two. TV stations broadcast HD in 720p. A Blu-ray Disc play can cost you between $300 to 500 dollars. When you watch movies in this new format with a 1080p HDTV, you’ll be getting the sharpest resolution available in the HD world today.

Back