Where did the myth that sport bikes are "more difficult to ride slow" originate?

Jun 2, 2008
Where did the myth that sport bikes are "more difficult to ride slow" originate?

Who came up with this myth?

Why is it perpetuated?

Sport bikes are more perfectly balanced, are lighter (meaning you make up more percentage of the total weight of the bike) and they have better turning radii than cruisers.

so why do people think they are more difficult to ride slow than a cruiser?
no ming and bluff...

you get on a sport bike or a cruiser at the same speed, the sport bike is way easier...more nimble, better balanced...
thanks john...

perhaps they are confusing "responsive" with "twitchy"

Its the torque, the more powerful motors, with high idles, typically foudn in sport bikes make it more difficult to operate the bike at sub idle engine speeds. Being that most sport bikes have high idles, they may not be eaily operable at speeds lower than 7-10mph requiring constant clutch slippage= and rear brake use to maintain speed.

Additionally, the higher power to weight ratio make them have a tendancy to "jolt stiaght" when you open the throttle a bit when slow cornering, some thign that is true for all bikes, but more pronounce in sport bikes.

I think the word twitchy describes the issue, but I also think the twitchyness is what causes the difficulty of controll, not that they cant eb controlled, it just requires more effort and attention.

This coming from a guy that owns an fjr1300, so i feel my opinion isnt biased since my bike is half sport, half distance tourer.

because a lot of riders are n00b squids that can only ride in a straight line fast. riding slow requires balance, which many people lack. you have to balance the bike at slow speeds because the gyroscopic effect that keeps the bike right-side up doesn't kick in until you are going faster (eg maybe 5mph+)

apparently they did not get their slow maneuvering down before they hopped onto a supersport

that's why they "out grow" a bike and want to move up to a liter bike.

I think it is more than just a myth. it is fact, proven over and over again.

The seating position of a sport bike makes it more difficult to ride at a slow speed compared to a standard upright seating position bike of the same weight. It is harder to balance at low speed if the sport bike has very low bars and high pegs which most higher performance models do. I wouldn't say it is harder to ride at slow speeds than a heavy cruiser, but harder than a standard bike that weighs the same. It is simple physics.

It's the width of the handlebars, Bunkie. I rode trials in the '70s and can ride ANY bike at walking speed.

It's the width of the handlebars, Bunkie. I rode trials in the '70s and can ride ANY bike at walking speed.

It started with the same crowd that said front brakes throw you over the handlebars 20 years before any sport bike could do a stoppie.

Its the truth. You're stroking your ego online over a skill you have developed. All you'll accomplish is to cause some overconfident novice to get injured.

I've never heard that said of a sport bike before. I know some people have difficulties riding cruisers too slow.

just twichy.

A heavy cruiser would be harder to manuver in a small space at parking lot speed due to it weight.

Sorry, have a DRZ and a bmw GS in the garage next to my VFR, no contest. Sport bikes are reasonable once you get used to them, but just don't have the maneuverability at slow speeds of a dual sport or standard bike.

But what are you calling slow speed, I'm talking at around walking speed. Above jogging speed, no problem, everything is good except choppers and cruisers with stupid handlebars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrwwfUDpk6M&feature=related

Firecracker...I'll have a go slow contest with a crusier guy any day, will even let you attatch all those flags to your bike that you like so much...I don't ride in parades or charity rides because I ride a motorcycle for sport, not a social occasion.

This is not a myth, but simply a misunderstanding. Just as "the exception that proves the rule" makes little sense unless you read "proves" in a somewhat archaic sense as meaning "tests" (as in "proving ground") similarly "cruisers are best ridden slow" does not mean "cruisers are the best at slow riding" but rather "going slow is all they do well".

Obviously, a trials bike is better at going slow than a cruiser. So is a dirt bike or dual sport. A sport bike should be at least as good, since the riding position permits the rider to use his legs and get his whole body into balancing the bike.

Indeed, the cruiser is the worst at going slow, ironic since that is what it does best.

Back