The World Cup

Rednecks probably believe that the biggest event is the World Series. I mean, it's not called the 'World Series' for nothing, is it?

Eh?

Oh.

That's a myth.

I don't really understand why people complain about the name. It's the world's two best teams competing for the championship. Just because it doesn't involve national teams doesn't mean it doesn't involve the world's best players.

LOL.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/5058132.stm

Police chief's flag racism fears
Cross of St George on car
Many England fans are flying the flag on their cars for the World Cup
England fans flying the cross of St George on their cars could antagonise Welsh fans, according to the deputy chief constable of North Wales Police.

Clive Wolfendale said "incessant" flag-waving in Wales during the World Cup could lead to racism and violence.

His comments were made during a launch of the force's anti-violence campaign to coincide with the World Cup.

Clwyd West MP David Jones said flags were "innocuous" and that Mr Wolfendale was "completely misguided".

Mr Wolfendale, who is English, said there is a place for flag-waving during the World Cup.

But he believes that in the weeks before the tournament, the sight of the English flag being displayed on cars "frequently and overtly" is "unnecessary".

'In your face'

Mr Wolfendale said: "I'm an Englishman and I'll be supporting England during the World Cup campaign and if I was at the game or in and around the stadium there's a fair chance I might be waving the flag.

"But I think there comes a point when weeks before the tournament the incessant use of these symbols is a bit in your face and I just wish people would sometimes reflect on the impact that's having on others."

Clive Wolfendale
Clive Wolfendale said overt flag-waving was "unnecessary"

Mr Wolfendale said that in a football context Wales was "definitely another country" adding that he wished England fans "would reflect on that before they start festooning their vehicles in this way".

He said that displaying the flag was not illegal but that in Wales it was a "matter of courtesy and of decent behaviour" for England fans not to do so.

He added: "There's no doubt about it that this can be the precursor to behaviour which is much worse than flag waving - it's violence, it's racism, it's hooliganism of the very worse kind."

North Wales Police have launched a pub campaign entitled Show Violence the Red Card.

Posters carrying the slogan have also been printed in Polish and Portuguese - two countries also competing in the World Cup, and which have large communities in Wrexham.

'Completely misguided'

Mr Wolfendale's comments have been criticised by some MPs in north Wales.

Alyn and Deeside Mark Tami said the remarks were not helpful and risk creating a problem "that isn't actually there".

He said he does not believe that tension between English and Welsh fans exists in north Wales.

Clwyd West MP David Jones said Mr Wolfendale's comments were "laughable".

He added: "I think it's pretty innocuous (for fans) to display their flag from the little flagpoles on their cars if they want to do that.

"I can't believe that the people of Wales are so intolerant of a few English football fans that they would be incited to violence - I think he's completely barking up the wrong tree.

"Frankly, flying a little flag on your way to Colwyn Bay for the day is, I don't think, going to spark any violence - I think he's completely misguided."

but its closed to non american teams. If it was opened up and it ended up that two US teams were competing then fine, but thats not how it works. Japan for one has a massive baseball culture, why not let them get involved?

The Japanese Leagues would get crushed by Major League Baseball teams. There's a reason that when the best Japanese baseball players finally reach free agency, they head to the Major Leagues. The best Japanese baseball players in the world right now (with the exception of a guy named Daisuke Matsuzaka, who is still under contract) are playing in MLB.

They tried that this spring with the World Baseball Classic. It was a mockery of the game. Premier players refused to play, teams were unprepared, the format allowed some teams a full week of rest before they had to play again. And the players just didn't care. On top of that, nearly all of the Major League players who played in the tournament got off to terrible starts this season because of it.

The players care about the World Series. Most don't give a crap about representing their countries.

Why should they? We've already established that the highest talent pool is in US baseball. Why allow lesser leagues to compete for a championship they can't win?

because every other sport does. The Faroe Islands are never going to win the Football World Cup, but they still have the right to compete for it.

But that's a NATIONAL team in a NATIONAL competition. The World Series is for CLUB teams. And in the world, there is one Elite League, and several lesser leagues. It would be like letting MLS teams compete for the UEFA Champions League (I'm aware the E is for Europe, but I'm making a point).

I think you've just made my point.

MLS teams cant play in UEFA competition because it is a European Club Competition. As far as I am aware the MLS is elegible to compete for the World Club Competition. By your example the World Series should be the American Series, which would end all the controversy.

In 1903, when the first World Series was played, the American League and the National League were the only professional baseball leagues in the world. Therefore, the name was valid. Would you have them change the name and spoil a century worth of history just because other nations have started their own leagues?

Yeah, he is so unlucky to have come at a time when there is abudance of fantastic English centre halves. He is fantastic, really dependable and experienced. Liverpool have some good players there this year, Gerrard (best player in the England squad?), Carragher and that beanpole- can't wait untill Rooney is fit again.

We do have a really godd chance this year, but I think we need a more inspirational manager, some one who can get the players really charged up, not robot-like, emotionless Sven.

People always seem to say Carragher is an unsung hero, but I always hear commentators saying how good they think he is. But yea, I do agree that Carragher is very good, not as good as King mind you

Pardon? I just don't think King matches upto Carragher, who has played in every defensive position and is extremely reliable and totally committed to the cause at hand, even though he has an Everton tattoo on his arm.

Back