The World Cup

lol, I think the only people who were surprised at the US' failure to progress were the US team themselves.

Good report Johnno, but...what about Spain and Holland?

Especially Spain the biggest underachievers in WC history. They never won it taking into account they host teams such as Real and Barcelona!!!!! Unbelievable.

DC.

Perhaps to the detriment of Spanish football. Very few of Barcelona's first team players are Spain internationals.

I think the USA in a sense had a lot to live up to bearing in mind how well they did in 2002, but with the draw they had this time round they were always going to struggle. They put in some very mixed performances, but I wouldn't class it as 'bad' World Cup for them - just a rather disappointing one. I think it was a tournament they can learn from.

Spain played pretty well, and although they only reached the second round, they were knocked out by the eventual finalists. So slightly disappointing, but hardly a failure.

Holland are a team in transition. Van Basten has boldly axed most of the old guard and given the younger players a chance. In four years time, if he can beef up the midfield, then they could have a very good team, but at the moment they look a bit raw. So I'd say it was a 'quite good' tournament for them. They qualified from the 'group of death', and will have learned a lot about where their strengths and weaknesses lie.

Back