The World Cup

1.3 billion viewers over 64 matches is approximately 20 million viewers per contest. Doesn't even come close to the Superbowl.

(Yes, I'm aware that some matches will have low viewership and others, like the final, very high, but I doubt it's significant enough)

@Johnno

1. I know, I know. You had that thing in Wembley. Was a bit tired and:

2. I meant that in a way that not the "usual suspects" should win this time (Brazil, Italy, Germany...)

3. I am from Switzerland, studying in Germany

That was 1.3 billion for the final, not for the tournament. The tournament would've been a lot higher. How on earth do you even begin to imagine that a country with a population of 300 mill watching a sport played only and aired mostly in that country could possibly come close to a sport that is claimed as national sport
of half of the South American countries, most of Europe, probably more than a few countries in Africa?!

For the record Time magazine last year reported that the most popular regularly watched sport in the world was cricket. So go figure. India's billion and a few hundred million Africans still knock American Football out of the stadium even if they half to walk a couple of hours to find a TV they can share with another ten families. Keep trying.

'That thing...'

Yes - England won!

I hope you are right! ALLEZ LA SUISSE!!

Cool - there aren't enough Swiss people here on MAP, so welcome! Do you mind if I ask you whereabouts in Switzerland you are from?

Australia will beat Brazil 2-1
now that would be funny, coz i remember Ronaldo said something like "Who's Mark Viduka and Harry Kewell??" im sure if the aussies beat them he'll remember

Sandus,

I think you are perhaps getting confused by football terminology here!

The 64 matches (or whatever the exact number is) are collectively known as the World Cup 'finals'. (As opposed to the World Cup 'qualifiers', which take place over the preceding two years.) The last match of the 'finals' is called the 'final'. That is one single game, and that is what was watched by 1.3 billion viewers. (Although that number seems suspiciously low!)

lol, there was a family on GMTV this morning who painted the whole front of their house as an England flag

England look to have a good chance as any this year to win the world cup, afterall we are 2nd favourites to win .

Whatever happens it's a good excuse to down stupid amounts of alcohol for the next 3 weeks or 4 weeks!!

I'm still shocked by the claims that the Superbowl has more veiwers than the world cup final!!, I would bet that most of the games from the quarterfinals onwards will have much more viewers than the Superbowl, afterall football is the national game of half the countries around the globe.

Pardon?

I see your point though, Pele and Best etc. were absolute genius', but of there time. What is more amazing is that they did all of their magic on the worst pitches, with three inches of mud. The game today is much more tactical, but I hate the way nobody seems to tackle anymore, though people like, my own god, Steven Gerrard still do, and Jamie Carragher for that matter.

The superbowl gets so many viewers becasue it goes on for several days to allow for advert breaks and all those "athletes" to snort oxygen after lumbering 30 yards. , doesn't it?

I'm sure it's still nowhere near the numbers for the World Cup (notice how World implies all nations taking part? Should mention that to baseball... )

I agree with Gould, England have as good a chance as ever this year, though it would be better if Rooney were fit. I'm a Liverpool fan but I'm still not convinced by the robotic beanpole, though to be fair he has played well recently, not just in terms of scoring but support and providing recently.

And ryanTKD is so right about Carragher, an unsung hero in my book. And about Durkhrod Chogori, you get years of my choosing in the purgatory of yours for calling it "soccer".

Mitch

I am from Basel (in the far north, near the German border). Although I study in Germany it is not that far to my precious hometown

ALLEZ LA SUISSE is a good start even though we speak primarily German (some sort of dialect). It is more a HOPP SCHWIIZ

To sum it up, I will support Switzerland and England (as always). Still have to put the Union Jack out of my window though.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/picture_gallery/picture_gallery/0,,30000-1224109,00.html

sky have proudly brought you the pics ..

Basel Stadt, or Basel Land?

I don't speak Schwietzerdeutsch (sp?) or much German. But my granny was from Vaud, where they speak French. I've got millions of relations there!

So I'll be cheering for Switzerland too - unless they play England!

I am from the city of Basel. *local patriotism on* there is only one Basel! *local patriotism off*

England vs. Switzerland - uuuuh, tough one! I guess I will just shut my eyes and think of some Germans loosing a game

In every generation there is one child born that....

Honestly, I cheer for Switzerland, but I since my teenage years I have a crush for GB somehow. Dont know why. It just happened. Today this relaxed a bit but ...I dont know. I like Switzerland very much but how often is Switzerland playing in a World Cup? You have to build up alternatives. I also like Japan very much. Nationalities never affected me to that part that they bind me to one specific country, especially my own mothercountry.

Difficult to explain...nevermind..I just support them both

I just dont want Germany to win. Because I dont want to read cheerful newspaper articles about them being the best for weeks. That is....annoying.

I'm astounded that the SuperBowl vs World Cup argument even existed to be honest. Wouldn't surprise me if there were quite a few rednecks that believe the Superbowl is the biggest event in the world though.

I shall be supporting....England.

Though it is much harder without Rooney.

Also I am annoyed about Lennon. I fear he won't get much gametime, and when he does, he'll be made to play "The Sven Way". By that I mean, boring and crap.

Back