Seal Culls

so.... in masters program & working full-time as an engineer.. along with teaching MA 3 nights a week.. that doesnt count as busy enough for you huh?

just try to make credible claims in the future
we could live without seal culls
we can not live withyet more sensationalist BS

How about training every day and working for approximately 10 hours 6-7 days a week, alongside any diy jobs that i have to do at home. Thisn't a competition of who is the busiest. I was merely stating that after having worked for a long day the last thing i want to do is come home and write an essay. notice how I said that anybody could raise an issue and i would explain it though. That was not backing away from the link.

The seal cull is a necessary population control, plain and simple. The seals are in no danger of extinction, and are one of the larger populations of any wild maofftopicl on earth.

Cute as they are, seals are destructive to fish stocks both through simple predation and the spread of parasites. Formerly, seal populations were kept in check through natural predators so this wouldn't be a big deal. However, since so many of the seals' natural predators are themselves threatened, hence do not have the numbers to keep the population in balance. This leaves only humans to keep things in check, which means culls.

With regards to the cruelty of the hunt, it's certainly no more cruel than what any other predator does. Have you ever seen killer whales toss seals around between them like a basketball before the kill? They do it same way cats play with mice before they kill them.

If seals weren't cute, no one would care. If they looked like big dung beetles, we wouldn't be having this thread. It's the same as when people get upset over hunting deer. Fact of the matter is, unchecked deer populations are hell on woodlands. Where there are no wolves, humans need to step in and deal with it.

I'm gonna go have some Canadian fish. Long live Newfoundland and Labrador, and may reason finally prevail over sensationalist sentiment.

Best regards,

-Mark (an East-coaster)

Back