Nissan Almera N16 1.8 keeps stalling and throwing DTC P0171 (System too lean at

EdwardB

Jun 4, 2008
bank 1)? Here's the history:
No problems, then I got a K&N cold air intake system. I had to remove the MAF sensor from the old filter and put it into the K&N filter. All was fine until about a month later when the CEL came on. I plugged the car into my scanner and it came up with P0171. After checking this out i started to think there was a problem with the IACV (idle air control valve), and thought about cleaning it, but on the almera the IACV is completely integrated into the throttle body and its impossible to get near to. When I was trying to get to the IACV, i got into the throttle body and noticed that the inside of the throttle had a LOT of thick black dust all over it (is this normal?)

I cleared the error code and nothing happened for a few months. Then the car started to cut out if the car was in neutral with the throttle closed (no foot on the accelerator pedal). I 'fixed' this by putting a bit of carboard between the accelerator pedal and the cable between the pedal and the throttle to keep the throttle open continuously.

All is seemingly fine now but the check engine light has returned and thrown the code P0171 system too lean. (It also threw an emmissions related code about not being able to determine the vehicle speed, but this has only appeared once, so may not be anything significant).

Someone has said that cleaning the MAF sensor or filter itsef may help, but most solutions i've heard seem to be assuming that the sensors, rather than the car itself, are to blame.

Thanks for your help!

Back