Christians, is the soul immortal according to the bible?

Yep.Here is a Bible verse that is almost never read in churches because it contains Jesus' teaching on marriage::stop glass:

Matthew 19:29

29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My name’s sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life.

NO.
(Ezekiel 18:4) Look! All the souls—to me they belong. As the soul of the father so likewise the soul of the son—to me they belong. The soul that is sinning—it itself will die.
Your ' soul' is you...You have to be alive to die...You have to be alive to sin...

According to my Lutheran beliefs and the NIV Bible the soul immediately leaves the dead body and goes to ether Heaven or hell. So I would say that yes, it is immortal.

I would say so because when the physical body dies - the soul lives on going to either Heaven or Hell. The soul still lives on either in eternal peace or eternal suffering.

Matthew 10:28 NIV:

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

EDIT: However, I agree with some that the soul isn't exactly immortal because God is the only one that can destroy it. Perhaps I should phrase it as: A person cannot kill another person's soul, but God can destroy a soul with eternal suffering.

If God can destroy a soul, then it cannot be considered immortal by proper term. But just because it doesn't die after worldly death, that does not mean it is immortal. Maybe God just doesn't destroy it. It is possible that He allows it to continue on to the fate that awaits.

There is nothing called the soul. We are all mortals. If we earn our right of entry to enter God's kingdom, then we live beyond the grave. We are born a second time as spirit persons in God's kingdom, which is in the spirit realm.

Back