Christian Religion and Buddhist Philosophy?

FarStrider

Jun 11, 2008
I am looking for opinions. Not looking to join a Buddhist temple. Merely, I am a Christian who thinks Jesus would approve of the Buddhist principles of love/peace/equanimity/compassion. As well, would not the precepts and philosophies make one a better Christian likewise? Jesus before all things. Yet I can not lie and say the teachings of the buddha, as a man not a God or to be worshippped.. More like a secular philosophical teacher with something to offer. I would be most grateful for thoughts/comments.

Truth is Truth. Any anything that raises our spiritual and personal consciousness is a good thing. Of course Jesus also approved of the Buddhist principles. It's an insult to suggest otherwise.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that much of Christ's teachings have been misinterpreted and often misused to serve personal and political agendas. But I have refused to let this keep me away from the amazing gift of his teachings and the wisdom and guidance of the Bible.

I also do not let Christian dogma, keep me from acknowledging and appreciating spirutal principles, truths and tools of other cultures. And as you are appreciating for your self, Buddhism has much to offer.

Whether we use conventional prayer, affirmative prayer, meditation, contemplation, visioning etc to dialogue with God, the important thing is that we are open to this guidance and wisdom.

You are letting your conscience and your intuition be your guide, and not religious dogma. Whatever path you take, follow the light of your intuition - I promise you it will not fail you.

Christianity is a religion, Buddhism is a philosophy, many Christians are enriched by studying this philosophy. I advocate it entirely and admire you for asking as many are to culturally shackled to understand the benefit.

A true Christian will embrace all truths, regardless of the source. They may reject the messenger and the message, but if a truth is shared between the paths, then it should be treasured.

Every religion has good morals. but if you start listening to them you will eventually leave God and His bible. its a fact. The bible say not to get involved in the philosophies of the world He has a reason for that.

As a Buddhist I know that you could be both. You can be Buddhist and another religion. I mean the english name for our king of heaven might as well be God. In Buddhism we have many demigods, about 37 buddhas, and many examples of good people tofollow. As long as you are okay with breaking the first commandment go ahead. I'm sure God really doesn't mind you calling Him something else if he's all forgiving.

Hi - as a Christian I think the ideology of the two are completely compatible. Of course, it will only add to you as a Christian.

I am Christian but also accept Druid concepts. I think the two enhance one another, and aren't mutually exclusive. (The early Celtic monks called Christ the "Great Druid".) As you suggest, I just keep Christ first and foremost. I think he is probably amused. ;)

I agree. There were a lot of things Buddha said that are right in line with, and precede, the teachings of Jesus. One of the most remarkable is the teaching that the desire of worldly things causes suffering and prevents us from following the path.

Of course that whole thing about there being no God kind of runs counter, hehe, but I personally find most religions that we would consider good are talking about many of the same things from different perspectives, and gaining those perspectives gives further depth and dimension in understanding, and seeking truth.

I think we do much better to look for what there is in common among religious beliefs.

Back