Why do we eat meat?

KathleenW

Apr 15, 2008
To start off, I am a vegi, and therefore I am biased, no matter how impartial I try to be, by definition of what I eat I am biased.

I hope those who eat mean will admit the same.

Ok to the question I asked in the title, why do we eat meat?

Is it for protein?, if so, we can easily get that from many protien rich products wich does not involve killing another life form.

Is it for mere taste?, if so, do you think another sentinent being should die because you like how it tastes?

Is it because you simply dont care about beings 'bellow' us?, if that is the case, there is not much I can say, if you dont care you dont care.

I ate meat untill I was 20, and then I started to read about how animals are reared and kept.

What turned me into a vegi, was not the idea of eating another sentinent being (although that came an issue for me later on), but the fact that we keep animals in such inhumane conditions.

Battery eggs are the first thing that jumps into my mind.

For just a moment (just a moment if you can spare it)

Imagine yourself, locked in a cage, hardly bigger than your body, so small you can barely move.

Imagine you are locked in that cage from birth untill death, in 24 hour light, 365 days a year(the cage is angled at a slant, so you cannot stand properly, as a result your legs begin to deform - into an incredibly uncomfortable possison, for life - because it makes eggs roll down easier.)

You get so frustrated you attack fellows arround you, so frustrated you start to bite yourself, and people in cages around you with your beak.

If you do, your beak is burnt off with a hot iron, (this is the usual practice for chics, although some farms let chickens mature with a beak, 60% of chicks who have thier beak cut off via heat die, but it does not affect profits as chicks are very easy to come by.

That is just chickens, helds and reared in such disgusting conditions, I decided to eat only free range eggs.

And that sent me off on an investigation of my own, on how other animals we eat are treated.

Pigs are thought to be as intelligent or more intelligent than a dolphin or a 5 year old baby.

In most countries, including USA and the UK, they are held in disgusting conditions. (and the french have been known to starve pigs untill they will eat raw sewage)

Many think pigs are unhygenic, but infact they are some of the cleanest animals in the world, the will roll in (clean) mud, to keep themselves cool and keep insects off them.

Unfortinatly, this has led alot of farmers to think pigs do not mind living in thier own filth.

Most of pigs in the UK and US are kept in ammonia filled pens, which are rarely if ever cleaned, the only time pigs find any comfort is the hosing down the get before being slaughtered.

If you was a inteligent, sentinent animal, kept in filth 365 days a year, untill you died, would you be happy?, are you happy eating meat that has been reared like that?

There are many many other case like this, chickens and turkeys that we eat are kept in massive pens, with 24 hour light(never ever real SUNLIGHT) from the moment they are born till the day they die, the live in misery.

If anyone wonders why anti biotics dont work as well as they used to (if at all) its because hows udders are milked so much, they start to scab and get infected. (cows are kept pregnant all year round to keep milk comming out, any calfs that are born are promptly carted off as veal - much to the wails of its mother - like any mother, who has been seperated from its baby)

Do the farmers give them a break or time to heal?, no, they are pumped full of anti-biotics, and it goes directly into our milk (and food) supply.

The more products we eat containing milk the less effective anti biotics are when we need them.

So why did I stop eating meat (and most dairy products)

The first reason was, because I could not find a store or farm that kept animals in a humane condition, and did not use products that where harmfull to long term human health.

As I searched, I began to realise how unique every animal is, how each has a different personality, temprement and intelligence.

It occured to me, I dont need any sentinent being to substain me.

Soya gives me protien.
Brocholia and various vegitables give me calcium.
Beans and red cabbage give me iron.
And all the other vegitables/fruits ect, give me everthing I need.

Ultimatly we must ask ourselves, does our diet justify keeping so many millions upon millions of animals in misery, if no, please do your best to find a place that keeps animals in humane conditions untill they die.

If you are thinking about giving up meat, then you will find it easier than you thought, i have not had a single hard day since I gave up meat, I dont even miss it.

To any who think im being judgemental about eating meat, I am not, I realise there are those who feel it is a natural part of life.

But to those who feel that, please do your best, so that those things you eat, are given the best life possible before they die for our consumtion.

It is only fair isnt it?

They die so others can live, at least do your best so they have a good existance before they die.

Ok, I'll bite. The reason I eat meat, more than anything else, is because I like the taste of it, and I can't stand tofu.

If it is something that you feel so strongly about, perhaps instead of simply abstaining from eating meat, which in the long run does little good, you should actively involve yourself in campaiging for better conditions for the animals.

"Pigs are thought to be as intelligent or more intelligent than a dolphin or a 5 year old baby"

first of all, intelligence is relative. you cannot determine an animals intelligence using a human system of classification. look at lions for example- what else do they need? why should they adapt? would being smarter benefit a lion in any way? humans HAD to adapt and evolve because we are physically pathetic compared to most animals (please dont turn this into a religous debate)

but yeah what you say about cruelty is true. we dont buy battery hen eggs, we only buy free range. I dont pretend that this makes me some kind of freedom fighter though. why do I eat meat? it tastes good and is a good source of protein and iron. its a fact that a lot of vegetarians simply do not get enough of the things they need. and that doesn't take into account the fact that I train for hours every day, something I seriously doubt I could do as efficiently if I were vegetarian. if you want to do something about the treatment of animals why dont you do something about it instead of just being a vegetarian.

I agree tofu isn’t too pleasant, and generally keeping to the vegetarian option isn’t too good in my opinion.

I'm against battery hens and veil, which is a lot of unnecessary suffering for animals.

But, I don't like the vegetarian option at Burger King! And if we all stopped eating burgers do you think the farmer would still keep a field of cows for the fun of it?

So the question is, is it better to live a short life and be make into food or have no life at all?

Ignoring the moral aspects for now and dealing with the implications on performance...some links

http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/athletes.htm

http://www.femalemuscle.com/031vegetarianbodybuilding.htm

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0215.htm

http://www.power-nutrition.com/healthy%20eating/vegathlete.html

http://www.veg.ca/newsletr/janfeb97/proathletes.html

http://www.hope.edu/academic/kinesiology/athtrain/program/vinciabstract.htm

Again, ignoring the moral aspect:
Meat is a natural part of the human diet. Early scavengers would regularly break open marrow bones, for which there is fossil evidence.
Open your mouth. That's right, open your mouth. You see that pair of teeth behind the 4 front ones? yes, the sharp, pointy ones. Those are canines. They're for slicing through chunks of meat. Of course, it also contains a lot of specifically vegetarian molars and such, so humans were certainly not exclusively carnivorous. This is the method scientists use for judging a fossil's diet.

I personally have to side with KE on this one (have I really sunk this low? )

We're natural meat eaters. We evolved our way to more or less the top of the food chain, barring playing with lions or sharks in their natural habitats. Nature has animals eating other animals, it's just the way it is. I for one probably couldn't survive at all without meat as a lot of vegitables make me feel quite ill.

I do donate to various organisations that try to stop cruelty to animals (as well as humans)

I have made websites for charities, and my next goal is create websites for various organisations and charities that cannot afford to have one built, but do alot of good work.

The post I made was about animals directly, but I feel strongly about any issues of cruelty, to any living thing.

(Knight errant, I know we have insisors, and that we where desiged to eat meat, im not disuputing the fact, but insisors are not our brains, we can still decide what we eat)

What I wrote was not intended to turn anybody into a vegitarian, but to try and convince anyone who eats meat, to buy meat and animal products that have been raised in humane conditions, if everybody did that, then eventually places that where cruel to animals would start to disapeer.

I understand alot of people think vegitarians are high and mighty just because they dont eat meat, its not my intention to say im better than anybody else, just to get (even if its a few) people aware of how animals are treated(if they didnt already know), so they may find products where animals havent been treated cruelly in the process.

[Edit]

Im not pretending to be a freedom fighter myself either.

why do i eat meat? it may have something to do with my dad being a butcher until i was around 8yo, and as such i had to eat meat.

just waiting for dad to return with a nice gutted pig to cut up and put in the freezer, actually. mmmmm sausages

My point was that humans are natural omnivores, and that a little meat is probably necessary in a balanced diet. Of course, there are all sorts of substitutes- brazil nuts, for instance, contain as much protein as an egg. But fatty acids and proteins actually have quite a specific content.
I fully support your point about the humane conditions, though. I think we should be nice to animals, but still eat them.

I buy most of my meat from a local farmers market and know almost all of the farms the meat comes from but not everyone is able to do that.
I think we should all take more care over our food but is a complex area.
Would you eat fruit or veg from a distant country knowing the contribution it makes to pollution when there are local alternatives?

I have a problem with the "teeth argument"

Yes - it is natural for us to eat meat. It is also natural for us to crap in our pants, not bathe for months on end and to hit each other with clubs. It is Man's greatest strength that he has made forward progress inspite of his "nature."

Ok - scrub the hitting with clubs bit

Have you tried eating raw meat?
A carnivore has teeth better suited to tearing flesh, stronger stomach acid to digest the meat, and a shorter intestinal tract.

..it's also a fact that a lot of non-vegitarians do not get enough of the things they need.

You will also find that there are vegetarian/vegan atheletes, and even power lifters.

Then it's a good thing I didn't say we were carnivores
prosciutto anyone?

Yeah, lots of people have an insufficient diet. This doesn't mean we should all start eating tofu and lettuce and wearing sandals.

Dont start on the sandals Knight-E.
I have no carpets at the moment and therefore walk around in sandals.
Sandals can be a sensible alternative to splinters in the toes.

I was waiting for you to say that actually

IMO, Tofu is rank, Quorn's not bad, but meat tastes better, and it is good for you.

I think if there was a thread questioning why veggies don't eat meat, the poster would be verbally bludgeoned to death

Back