What is a Good Sports bike for a 6'5 195 pound guy?

Dre

Jun 1, 2008
I have taken the MSF beginners course and excelled with flying colors and i was on a 250 LOL..I felt HUGE! please i need advice.. Ive been looking into the Sv650 but people say ill get bored.. Many people say i should just hop on a 600 like Suzuki Gsxr or Yamaha R6.. I really like the R6.?

And we have another candidate for a posthumous Darwin Award.

First off, don't get me wrong. I am not anti Sport Bike. However, I strongly believe that the motorcycle should match the skill level of the rider.

So you think that just because you passed a very basic motorcycle safety course that you are now fully qualified to ride a street legal racing bike. Getting this motorcycle for your first bike is like getting a Formula 1 race car for you first car. A very bad idea. Any decent Sport Bike can go from zero to deadly faster than you can say "Oh Sh**!".

Do this instead. Get an older used Standard or Cruiser style bike in about the 500cc range. A Standard or Cruiser type bike will be much more forgiving to a novice like you. A 500cc Standard or Cruiser won't be so fast that it will scare the crap out of you but will be fast enough that you won't get bored too quickly.

Learn on this bike. Make your mistakes. You will make mistakes. Most new riders will lay their first bike down at least once. Ask yourself this. Which bike would you rather lay down? An older Cruiser or a nice shiny expensive new Sport Bike.

Another thing about a nice shiny expensive new Sport Bike. These bikes have lots of easily broken but expensive to repair plastic parts. Laying a Sport Bike down, even at low speed, will get very expensive, very fast.

After at least 1 year of riding this starter bike, you can sell it. If you take good care of it and don't beat the crap out of it, you won't lose much money on the sale. You can then put this money towards your next bike. Even a Sport Bike if this is what turns you on.

One final word about when it gets time to move up to a Sport Bike. Sport Bikes are generally owned by young riders who think they are racers on racing bikes. They tend to beat the crap out of their motorcycles. So if you want to get a Sport Bike, get a new one.

As for insurance, use some common sense. Insurance companies keep detailed statistics on all accident claims. They know from experience that young inexperienced riders are high risk. They also know exactly which bikes are fast. Add together a young, inexperienced, male rider, on a fast bike, and insurance is going to be expensive.

the statements on questions like this particular one always amaze me...

learner rider... going to get bored really fast on a 250cc bike that will do 100MPH & out accelerate the family V8 car..

if you get bored in the first 2 years .... your not riding it properly..

Ive been riding for 40 years & can still get a buzz from carving through twisty hills roads on a 250..

& your ability to EXCEL at the MSF course... not worth the time mentioning... that's at slow speed ,, under controlled conditions... riding on the road is a whole new level

ability level has something to do with enjoyment... once your reasonably good at riding... any bike is fun..

Back