How many miles is too many for a sport bike?

CurtisTweed

Mar 4, 2013
I'm soon to be a first time motorcycle buyer. I'm looking for a 2000-2005/6/7ish, 600cc bike for around $4k. I don't have a lot of knowledge about bikes as far as maintenance and such goes. I was just wondering, if given a bike that has had average maintenance, what would be acceptable mileage/too much mileage? Also I'm mostly looking for a kawasaki zx-6r, or a yamaha r6. Not opposed to others though. Thanks
Yeah I know a lot of people don't reccomend a 600 to start on, and I've debated between a 250 and 600 for a while now. I've just heard, "within 3-6 months you'll be bored and want more power," too many times. I decided to just go with a 600 to save hassle really. I plan on babying it for the first couple of months at least anyway. Trust me, I'm 20. I don't want to die.

Don't recommend an in-line-4 600 (any of them) as a starter bike, too much, too soon.

That said and to answer your question (only been asked about a billion times) - One mile or 200,000 miles.
One mile when some dip-sh!t forgets to put oil in the crankcase and 200,000 if the owner KNOWS that maintenance is the KEY.

there is no set answer to your question my 74 suzuki gt750 went well over 100k without any real problems, yet I have seem other bikes that were shot out after around 20k! It all depends on how hard ya ride it, how well ya maintain it and how well your particular model was designed in the first place.

Back