Is wing chun a practical martial art?

AnimatedLegend

Jan 21, 2011
I've been training in Wing Chun for about 6 months now and am enjoying it very much. I know that in 6 months pretty much no one is going to be good at a martial art, so that has nothing to do with my current doubt in the style. My sifu has been doing it for 40+ years and was the closed door student to Pan Nam (not even sure if his lineage is well-known or not, I can't find much info. on him). But lately I've been beginning to doubt that this style can truly be effective in real fighting situations. I've looked ALL over the internet searching for ONE wing chun fight that actually showed a competent Wing Chun fighter versus a competent different style (whether it be boxing or some other chinese martial art). I just need to see some real proof of Wing Chun being a serious fighting style.

Sure all the seniors at my school seem incredibly good, but they are fighting other wing chun classmates so of course it is going to look like it can be used in a real situation. But how would it work with an average joe? Or if you came across a boxer?

Would it be rude to ask my teacher for a demonstration fight against a boxer or something? I just need visual proof, an application of the style in a real fight.

Back