'I thought I was going to throw up': Dallas Keuchel was a tad nervous before All-Star

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
CINCINNATI — There were 33 first-timers at Tuesday's All-Star Game, but none of them had quite the experience that Dallas Keuchel went through at Great American Ballpark.*
[Play a Daily Fantasy contest for cash today!l]
The Houston Astros lefthander started the game for the American League and the nerves started to build when he heard his name announced among the starters. Then, after admittedly chugging a little too much pregame energy drink, he walked down the line and saw baseball's four greatest living ballplayers being introduced.
Hank Aaron. Willie Mays. Sandy Koufax. Johnny Bench.*
And that's when it fully hit him.*
"I thought I was going to throw up for a minute there," Keuchel said during a televised in-game interview.
While many ballplayers would never say something like that for public consumption, Keuchel was cool enough to admit being awestruck at the moment. He was also cool enough to acquit himself nicely in what he called "the greatest experience of my life," giving up two hits and an unearned run in two innings of work during a 6-3 American League win.
"It was super special," the 27-year-old said. "There are so many things about the last few days that will stick with me for the rest of the life."*
Keuchel described the National League lineup as the best he'd ever faced in any one game and joked that he was "crossing his fingers and saying his prayers before a top of the first that began with Andrew McCutchen, Todd Frazier and Bryce Harper.*
Staked with some calming time from Fox's long commercials and a 1-0 lead on Mike Trout's leadoff homer in the top of the inning, Keuchel coaxed a foul popup from McCutchen and groundouts from Frazier and Harper. That only took 10 pitches, so Keuchel got another inning. A soft leadoff single to Paul Goldschmidt eventually turned into an unearned run, but Keuchel recovered from a late wild pitch to strike out Joc Pederson to end the inning and the night.*
While many players retire to the clubhouse (and then the nearest private landing strip) once their duty is done, Keuchel stayed in the dugout with Astros teammate Jose Altuve and then waited until after the game was over before talking to the media.*
Keuchel did plenty to deserve the starting nod, of course, going 11-4 with a 2.23 ERA in the first half for the surprising Astros. He said he hopes that the Astros will use the homefield advantage that he helped the American League earn with the league's third straight victory in the All-Star Game.*
But even if they don't, it won't diminish the special nature of Keuchel's night.*
"I just tried to soak it all in, no matter if it was big or small," he said.*

- - - - - - -
Kevin Kaduk is a writer for

Back