The End: Orson Scott Card, Recovering Game Addict

G

gamer

Orson.scott.card.JPG

Ender's Game writer Orson Scott Card used have it bad for gaming. How bad? Card explains:

Yeah, I know, I sound like an ex-drinker talking about all the good times I used to have on my alcoholic binges...
My cold-turkey stop was because, and I'm serious here, it was costing me a shocking amount of money and depriving me of a home life with my family. Here I am, a self-employed writer, and I never had time for my family because I had this GAME that was waiting to seduce me whenever I pretended I was going to the office to work. I estimate there are about twenty novels that were never written because of computer games. Now, there are those who think that's a blessing to literature, but at the very least it was costing me money because I wasn't getting paid as often as when I actually complete the books that are under contract.
Twenty novels killed off? No time for family Damn those pesky games! Maybe Card should've been an alcoholic. Might've been more productive. Elsewhere, he says "game's CAN'T have the kind of storylines that movies and books have, or they wouldn't be playabale" and then goes on, saying not to look forward to Ender's Game the game. Rather, he's plotting a series of games based on the Ender's Game universe. Mo' games, mo' money! Brian Ashcraft
Card Interview [Gaming Today via QJ.Net]
</img>

More...

Back