Do you think it's a waste of money to pay for tv (cable/sattelite)?

LaseyPuget

Jul 16, 2010
With free tv now available over the internet and in HD Digital over-the-air?
@darren - we don't have free satellite in the US (at least that I know of).

It depends really on how much TV you watch. If you watch tv on a regular basis but only for a couple of hours a day then stick to free-to-air. If you watch a lot of tv and like all sorts of programs i recommend a cable or satellite service.

Also bear in mind that some cable and satellite boxes are digital recorders so it could save you buying another box for recording. Also most digital recorders have the ability to pause and rewind live television as well so if you missed a few minutes you can rewind and continue watching the tv channel a few minutes behind, which i think is brilliant!

TV over the internet can be quite unreliable, quite often you find loads of sites that offer links to tv on the net, and half don't work, or are in the wrong language so can be quite a pain.

As for free over-the-air digital - it can be just a waste of money to subscribe to tv like Sky TV.

I have freesat upstairs in my bedroom and in my mum's room and both of us have more than enough TV we could ever want, we do have Sky TV paid for downstairs, but at times we wonder whether it's actually worth paying for because most of the time every day it's the same repeat, after repeat, after repeat. The only channels that show anything good on are Sky 1, BBC and ITV, the others are mainly constantly repeats, or this reality TV rubbish that goes on about people who are famous for five minutes just 'cos they had a bit of an argument with Ryan Air or Easyjet, or drove the wrong way down a motorway or something else stupid like that.

The best way to get free tv though is to get it through a satellite dish using Freesat rather than Freeview, the picture is a lot less prone to disruption, and you get a lot more channels, and more HD content as they have more bandwidth on Freesat than Freeview (that is if you are in the UK, Freesat is an Free-To-Air satellite service in the UK, and Freeview is Free-To-Air Terrestrial Digital TV)

Back