Home Theater PC Help?

someoe

Jan 29, 2009
I just orderd some parts to build a new system,,, (budget system) my plan was to build and sell it to make a few bucks since i got a good deal but now im having second thoughts and may want to make it a home theater PC since the motherboarrd suppots HDMI. What i was wondering is how do i do this once its built?? are there home theater programs?? can i connect the HDMI port to my monitor? well any help would be much appreciated heres my new systems specs:
-----------------------------------------
LOGISYS Computer Area 51 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
--------------------------
450W Power Supply
--------------------------
Western Digital Caviar RE WD2500YD 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
-------------------------
ASUS M3A78-EM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
-----------------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor
----------------------------
2 GB Kingston 667Mhz Dual channel Slim design PC5400 DDR2
----------------------------

Thanks in advance

Yes, you simply connect the HDMI port to your monitor or television.

If you want to hook up an antenna (for free OTA television), you can buy a TV tuner. Most of these also accept a cable input besides antenna. If you install an operating system like Mythbuntu (it's Ubuntu combined with the MythTV program), you can integrate the home theater PC action right into the operating system. Take care though, Mythbuntu is slightly picky on TV tuners that it will accept.

Read up on it before you install, though I believe you can download a LiveCD that will let you run it without installing, though no changes you make will be saved.

If you want to go with the Vista route, Home Premium and Ultimate have Windows Media Center, which is a pretty nice interface also. Then again, Vista isn't free.

Back