Will gravel kill my baby fish?

JadeM

Jun 6, 2008
ok, yes, im excited my mollie just gave birth in my fish bowl (it was only temporary for her to give birth to her babies) but I just found one of the babies stuck in between two pieces of gravel and im scared that one might get stuck during the night and die, should i remove the gravel or just stop worrying about it? also there is 15 healthy babies and 1 proud balloon bellied dalmation lyretail momma :)
alas, momma molly gave birth to 4 still borns and 1 egg so sad, but i removed them and put them in the big tank with momma molly and daddy molly and uncle goldy and they happily ate the kids/nieces/nephews :]

if you are worried, you might want to get java moss or just get finer gravel thats smaller that what you are using

Gravel should not pose a threat to healthy babies. If they are getting stuck, they may already be sick or weak. Mollies sometimes canabalize their young, so if you may want to remove the mother. Also, 15 babies will produce a lot of waste in a short time period, so you probably cannot keep them in the bowl unless you are able to do water changes often (ab 10% every 3rd day). They will also need aeration and filtration wouldnt hurt.

Back