What happened to my pregnant Molly fish?

Sinfang

Mar 24, 2009
My molly fish was pregnant for quite a while (bigger than the average molly as well, in general, not because she was pregnant). However, the other day she gave birth unexpectedly to undeveloped fry. Although they looked close to being naturally born, when they touched the gravel they did not move, or unfold from their "circle" position.

I'm confused as to why she aborted, or gave birth too early. I had not attempted to catch her, but I went on with my regular routine. I feed them twice a day, enough for all the fish to have a good amount. Water is fine, temperature is fine; I didn't notice anything amiss (such as bullying or hiding in a corner.) She's quite social.

Today however, she is refusing to eat, but she will not hide regardless of the amount of plants and hiding places. She has a little white strand coming from her butt, which I think has to do with her birthing early.

I'm interested in possible reasons why she could have done this, why she is acting the way she is now, and what I can do to help her.

Note: The tank is the proper size for her and all of my fish.

Back