The World Cup

NoraSimone42

Mar 16, 2008
The second biggest sporting event in the world is only 4 days away... how do you think your team will do?
Can anyone beat the Brazilians?
Looking forward to a good tournament, even though Ireland didn't make it.

what sporting event is bigger?

edit - I hope not.. I'll have one seriously angry BJJ coach if they lose

Alansmurf said:
I can't wait for the World Cup to begin! There's nothing else like it. I'll watch every game that I can. Training will suffer for a month I'm afraid, but I'll try to do some stretching while I watch!

The Superbowl final consistently has a larger audience than the world cup final.

Whether or not that makes it "bigger" is entirely subjective. Generally the superbowl isn't hyped much outside the US, so it's unlikely you care if you don't live there or follow american football yourself. Most of the general public across the world wouldn't even know the superbowl was on, whereas most people would know that the world cup was on as it's a, well, worldwide event

Nope Pessimistic as ever

I'd be astounded if England make the final. Its gonna be another Brazilian year I think.

Brazil are probably the favourites, but they don't tend to do as well in Europe, so it's not a foregone conclusion.

It looks more of an open contest than usual.

I'd be surprised if England get further than the quarter finals. But stranger things have happened. Who would have thought that Germany would have got to the final last time after we beat them 5-1 in Munich just before?

I assumed he probably was.

I think England could possibley win it, although our chances would be way higher if we didn't have that muppet as our manager.

How many people watch?

Super Bowl- while NFL executvies claim it is watched by over 1 Billion people worldwide, it has been researched and shown that 93 million people watched the game in 2005. 98%of this audience was in the United States.

World Cup- the most widely viewed and followed sporting event in the world. This has to do with its worldwide appeal and the fact that it only comes around every four years. 28.8 billion people watch the whole tournament and 1.1 billion watch the final game.

World Cup vs Superbowl

PS. England are second favourites. Our best legitimate chance in a long time.

We're doing a sweep stake at work.
Four teams left in the hat (it's a blind draw).

Brazil
Argentina
Poland
South Korea

No prizes for guessing which two teams I managed to pick.

Back