My DVD-ROM drive is not present in My Computer. I can't play my CD-s now.

nala_91

Nov 16, 2011
What should I do? I put in my computer a disk, and I noticed that it's not loading. I went to My Computer and I saw that I don't have a DVD-ROM, only Floppy. What should I do now? I can't re-install my Windows if I don't have a DVD-ROM. Please help!

I have got absolutely no idea what the chap below is referring to but its not related to your question, PS2 is an ageing port used to connect a keyboard or mouse.

Right click on My Computer (windows XP) or Computer (7 & Vista) and go to Manage, then select Device Manager - do you have anything there that has an exclamation mark next to it?

Right click on something in Device Manager and go to scan for hardware changes.

Is it a laptop or desktop PC?

Have you tried a system restore?

You could possibly have a bad optical drive or a virus. Run a virus scan in Safe Mode. When you boot your computer press F8 and choose Safe Mode with Networking. Open a browser and download Malwarebytes and install it. After that run a complete scan. Make sure you update it.When the scan is complete and it finds viruses click click next and remove when done. When you are finished see if it appears.

Depending on how old it is, the DVD-ROM might be dying. Just check the power cable and the PATA/SATA cable are well connected, especially the second one as it has a higher tendency to come loose if the cable is stretched.

Or else take it out, try it out on a different machine. If still not working it's dead. Also check from BIOS if it can recognize your DVD drive.

That can be a lot oft hings. Try going to the your pc's web site (dell.com or whatever PC you have) and downloading and installing the drivers .

Back