Why do my Blu-Ray movies have grainy backgrounds?

jasonwithin

Jan 16, 2009
I am using Monster HDMI cables with 4.95gbs Bandwidth connected to a PS3 and a 52" Sony Bravia XBR6. Also my HDMI is running through my Harmon and Kardon A/V Receiver. Watching HD tv seems normal and the games on the PS3 look awesome, But when i am watching a movie in Blu-Ray it always has a grainy look to it. Mostly in out of focus shots or background. But its noticeable enough to me that its pretty irritating. Can any one tell me why this is or any clues or advice to why this is happening. Or if any one else is experiencing this with other Blu-Ray Players? Thank you for your support and answers!!

it's the player. the blu ray (movie) part of the dvd is barebones and not that good. it isn't really a blu ray player.. it's a cheap player that can pass for a blu ray player, but if you want real blu ray, you're going to have to get a dedicated, standalone player.

Well, all your stuff checks out. You are capable of 1080p and all that.

You do know that some movies are intentionally grainy right? Depending on what film used or how the movie was edited, it will have a graininess to it. Take "300" for example, super grainy to give it that dirty danky feel.

You would need to give an example of where you see graininess, what movie, what scene, etc.

Back