Why do Brits think the UK sucks?

The immigrants from the commonwealth originally came here on a quota system to fill specific job vacancies. (I'm referring here to the original emigrants from Inida and Pakistan and the 'Windrush generation' from the West Indies, in the fifties and early sixties.) They weren't generally British passport holders, although many had served in the British armed forces which probably helped their applications.

Many of the Kenyan and Ugandan Asians were British passport holders and were entitled to come here. It wasn't the grand humanitarian act that it is sometimes made out to be.

Couldn't agree more.

I don't think the UK sucks, but I'm not british. I think their food sucks but otherwise its a perfectly lovely place to visit.

The Common Wealth was born of the empire. So I think the point still stands. The Ugandan refugee issue was a bit more complex than we just took in some British passport holders. That's not the case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugee#Uganda

I have family who moved from uganda too.
They had british passports but were born in kenya and uganda while it was part of the empire.
so i can confirm Johnno

Some of my family moved earlier too. they were as Johnno said

And my family is huge. a large percentage of the sikh and generally indian population (my dad's side of the family are muslim and catholic indians born in east africa) of leeds came from east africa.

I don't doubt you Zaad but I wouldn't presume that because your family had passports meant everyone did.

Surprisingly a lage percentage did.
Theres always exceptions. but it really wasnt that big of a humanitarian act considering most had british passports.

Considering how much bitching I saw from Brits at the time when I learnt about it I believe you that it wasn't a big humanitarian thing, at least not a voluntary one, was just concerned you seemed to be going off what happened to your family and applying it to everyone else. Which you don't seem to be so ignore me

When havent people bitched about immigration? LOL

I was reading something just now. and apparently people from Rio hate Rio, but the rest of the world loves it.
I think its the same for many in britain.

Haha point taken

Cool thanks for that. Guess like some people have said its just that your country is normally the only one you really know so you're always finding faults in it. We're a miserable species.

Rio is a bit different from here though...
Look at the pictures and read the comments at the bottom:
http://www.uniquescoop.com/2010/08/what-it-is-like-to-live-in-rio-de.html

Back