Why are traditional martial arts practitioners so over-sensitive?

JohnDoe

May 22, 2008
A guy here on Yahoo Answers asked for advice in regards to which two martial arts he should combine. I gave him an honest answer - if you want to practice two effective styles, go with Muay Thai and BJJ. I also told him that there's no substitute for these two styles when it comes to (what I will call) real fighting in the list of styles that he had suggested, which mainly consisted of traditional martial arts.

Well, my answer disappeared in minutes, because so many traditional martial arts practitioners/fans had voted me down. I think they / you (depending on who you are) are being way too over-sensitive when it's suggested that their / your style isn't as effective as more modern MMA styles. Too bad, I think many students start training styles like Taekwondo and Karate with unrealistic expectations, thinking that these styles are really realistic and effective fighting styles.
Hey all traditional martial arts practitioners whose answered - I'm not the one getting my feelings hurt, YOU obviously are. You're the one crying whenever someone starts criticizing your martial art. I just feel bad for the guy who is starting a crap fighting style because you guys are misinforming him.
I've trained Taekwondo for years. Last 3-4 years been training BJJ, Kickboxing and Muay Thai.

Back