What was the predecessor of karate?

Kusog

Nov 4, 2010
? => Traditional karate (e.g. Shotokan, Goju-ryu, Isshin-ryu, etc.) => Full-contact knockdown (e.g. Kyokushin, Ashihara, etc.) => Gloved karate (e.g. K2, Shin Karate)/MMA karate (e.g. Daido Juku, Zendokaikan).

*For the sake of simplicity, I'll just generalize the various styles into these categories.*

I understand that the styles that predate the "-ryu" and "-do" schools of traditional karate are the "-te" styles of Okinawa. It's also my understanding that these "-te" styles are a combination of techniques from Chinese Kempo and the native martial arts of the Ryukyu Kingdom. What I would like to know more about is the native Okinawan art of "Ti". Was it ever without the influence of Chinese martial arts? What sort of techniques were utilized? What sets it apart from its successors?

Your answers do not have to be limited by these questions. Any knowledge you have regarding "Ti" at all is greatly appreciated. Just know this is for posterity.

"Ti" was strictly a Grappling Art the same way that the Chinese have Shuai Jaio and the Japanese have Aiki Styles. It basically was a method of using Musculoskeletal Physiology - Body Mechanics - to subdue your opponent.

I gather you are referring to the "te" styles named after the cities - Shuri Te, Tomari Te and Naha Te. These styles developed after the 1400's after the arrival of the Chinese Envoys during the Cultural Interchange between China and Okinawa. At the time, the iland was called Uchina - the original name, pronounced Okinawa in Japanese. The cities were actually called - Sui = Suidi, Dumai = Dumaidi and Nafa = Nafadi. Because of the infusion of Chinese Techniques these arts became known as Toudi - China Hand... "ti"= hand.

From Suidi and Dumaidi came Shorin Styles. From Nafadi came Shorei Styles.

Back