What kind of amp do I need to power high end audiophile speakers to their full

Exact

Aug 24, 2011
potential? Everytime I see an audiophile stereo setup, I see two large beautiful speakers on each end and in the center are 2 or 3 amps stacked on top of each other. What kind of amps are those?
I have a full 6.1 HT setup but I sometimes like to listen to my music using only main towers (without the sub.)
Unfortunately, my surround sound receiver doesn't have enough power to push audiophile quality speakers to their full potential. (only 110 watts per channel)

Thank you! 10 points for best answer today!

Does your receiver have 'pre-outs' for the left/right channels? Look for a cluster of RCA jacks with labels for each speaker.

While you can spend $2,000 or more on a big 5 channel amp - search eBay or Audiogon for something called "MonoBlocks". These are single channel amplifiers in the 120-200 watt range that you put between the RCA jacks and your more power hungry speakers. These amps are totally isolated from each other and can do a great job with power hungry speakers. They range from $150-$500 each so are a lot more economical than the big 5 channel amps.

They also make some pretty nice 3-channel amps in the 200 watt per channel range and you would use these for your front 3 speakers. (The rear speakers are used for many minutes so let your AV Receiver power these.)

This will depend on the type of speaker you are using. 110 watts are very common for home use. You did not mention the speakers you are using. Audiophile normally use a separate components, like a pre amplifier and power amplifier, a separate CD player or turntable and speakers. It all depends on each person personal budget for the system. High end system are only available at certain store and you are not going to see any price tag on the display. Keep in mind that power amplifier are mainly used in the higher end of the audio and you are not going to find them at your local Best Buy. But, there are some Best Buy with the Magnolia department (high end audio) that carry McIntosh power amplifier if you can afford an $8,000 2 channel power amplifier at 400 watts. Hope this will help you out.

Back