Roger Federer vs Andy Roddick Wimbledon 2009 final?

Soul_Boy

Nov 8, 2011
One of the best Wimbledon finals i've ever seen.

Do you think Andy Roddick should've won?
If only he had the energy/fitness at the end i think he would've beaten Federer,his serve was on fire that day but Federer's fitness and experience of being in Grand Slam finals enabled him to struggle over the finish line.

What are your thoughts?

yeah, i thought roddick should've won because he played a pretty good wimbledon that year. of course federer is amazing on grass, but roddick's serve and forehand weren't too bad either.

I think the biggest difference was Roger got to serve first in the fifth set.Every time Roddick had to serve,he was serving to stay in the match.Roddick deserved the victory but you can't take anything away from Roger.The resilience is what champions are made off and he was more than a deserving winner.

yeah i wanted Roddick to win badly..
but his fitness was not totally there that year.. and he was trying to hard with his serve and forehand...

and in the 5th set... federer served first.. so after Roddick was always trying to top federers serve.. it got him into problems..

and then in 2009 roddick was a favourite to win the US OPEN.. because of his performance at wimbledon.. he got upset there early

2009 was probably roddicks best chance to win a slam

he hasnt won since 2003|

Andy Roddick should not have won. Each player did phenomenal. It's a tremendous shame that Andy couldn't hold up in the 30th game (you dont hear that every day). BUT he had his chances. Remember that missed volley?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo0DUlKzIMI (at 1 min 30 sec)

Had he made that, Andy would have won 2 Majors in his career and not be on Tennis Channel's 5 biggest 1 hit wonders (which will premier when he retires haha).

Also, Federer is simply clutch. Andy isn't. In a tense final, that's the most important attribute for any player to have.

I definately felt terrible for Andy after the loss (partly because I'm American) so I wish they could have split the trophy in two haha.

Man i was so pissed even though Federer is my favorite I think Andy deserved after he failed two times before that.

Back