Andy Murray, Milos Raonic to meet in semi-final

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
2016-01-27T110802Z_3_LYNXNPEC0Q0QT_RTROPTP_2_TENNIS-OPEN.JPG
MELBOURNE, Australia – Andy Murray is one win away from his fifth Australian Open final. The two-time Grand Slam champion advanced to the semi-final with a 6-3, 6-7, 6-2, 6-3 win over David Ferrer.
For a chance to win his first Australian Open title, Murray will first have to get past Milos Raonic, who defeated Gael Monfils in the night's second quarterfinal, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.
With the win Murray joins fellow Brit Johanna Konta in the semi-finals. Konta is the first British woman to advance to this stage of a Grand Slam since 1983. Together, they're the first British male and female singles players to advance in the same year since 1977. Murray's older brother, James, advanced to the mens doubles semi-final, marking the first time two brothers have reached the semi-finals in different draws of the same Grand Slam.*
"I'm just so happy that I'm enjoying what I'm doing," Konta said after her straight-set win over Chinese qualifier Shuia Zhang. "That is me living my dream."
For Murray, the second set proved the most challenged on Wednesday, with Ferrer jumping out to a 4-1 lead. Murray battled back to even it at 4-all, then missed two break point opportunities that would have given him the chance to serve out the set at 5-4. Instead it went to a tiebreak, with Ferrer prevailing.
Through the entire set, Murray looked calmer than he had in previous matches. The typically animated No. 2 held off from any outbursts. He'd later say that he'd spent too much energy talking to himself in the fourth-round match, and made an effort to correct that tonight. It showed.*
Murray broke early in the third for the 3-1 lead, then saw his momentum halted as officials stopped play in order to close the roof. Ferrer was visibly annoyed that the roof was being closed because it had not yet started raining. When play resumed, Murray never relinquished the lead.*
He said afterwards that he is starting to feel focused again after an understandably stressful first week. Murray's father-in-law, Nigel Sears, coaches Ana Ivanovic. Sears collapsed in the stands during Ivanovic's fourth-round match. Murray was on court at the same time, in the adjoining arena. He left the immediately following his match, skipping the customary on-court interview, and soon visited the hospital where Sears was being treated. Sears has since been cleared to fly back to the U.K. Murray also knows that his wife could give birth any day, as she is due with their first child in early February. He said earlier in the tournament that he will leave immediately if she goes into labor.*
Should all goes as planned, Murray will face Raonic Friday. At 25 years old, Raonic is the youngest of the final four men in the draw. This is his second career Grand Slam semi-final – he'll be looking to reach his first career final. Murray will be playing his 18th Grand Slam semi-final. The two have split their career meetings, 3-3. Murray won their last two meetings, as well as their only previos Grand Slam meeting, at the 2012 U.S. Open.
"I have certain aspects that I would like to manipulate and use my game in, and I'm sure he's going to try to do a lot of different things, too," Raonic told the media after his match. "I think it's going to be a race to who can get in the comfort zone of themselves first."
Whomever reaches that comfort zone will go on to face the victor in the highly-anticipated Thursday semi-final between Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic.*

Back