Neck and Neck Monitors- Audiophiles Help!?

Kush

Nov 24, 2008
I've been looking at various headphones and here is the list:
-AKG K240 MKII
-Grado Prestige SR80i
-Audio-Technica ATH-M50
-Denon AH-D1000K

Now I will most likely not be wearing them for more then 4 hours straight ever. But comfort is important to me. I've really like circumnaural headphones but I don't mind others.
My main concern with the K240 II is that they are very costly, and that they may just be made in China now. The Grado's have great reviews and all, but I'm worried about if they're comfortable or not.
And the ATH-M50's seem nice as well, but I'm worried that I won't like the closed back or the closed-back soundstage, same concern with theAH-D100Ks.
I'm planning on using a heavy duty gaming laptop as the audio source, possibly gaming with them as well. I want to know which headphones from this list will be unsuitable with a laptop and possibly a cellphone every once in a while.
I know all of these sound amazing and all, but my last worry is cable quality, the M50,SR80i, and D1000K do not have detachable cables, so I seems very important for me to know whether the cables will withstand constant use or not. I also know for a fact the velvety earcups on the AKGs are the most comfortable I've ever tried, with the Bose QC15 being second to them. Please help! I'm not one with great sums of money and I plan to use whichever pair I get from this list for years!
I listen to almost all genres of music- least being rock and country. I find myself liking circumnaural open backs the most. Also I want to know if the older K240 or lower model SR60i are less costly options which are a good idea or not as well!

Thank you audiophiles on your input on which cans I should buy!

Back