Man arrested for 2x4 labeled "High Powered Rifle"

Yes I had heard of them , so , your answer to the problem is that everyone should be armed ?

Not saying that everyone has to be armed. Just saying that the presence of some well-trained and armed "good guys" (whether they be police, private security, or private citizens) can make a huge difference. I was responding to the assertion several posts up that armed police and armed security contribute to the problem instead of helping solve it. That's simply not accurate.

The flip side to that argument is that firearms experts are some of the most likely candidates for firearms accidents because of the raw exposure to those tools.

The problem though is that until they pulled the trigger these shooters were "good guys" , or at least used "good guys" weapons.

Complacency can be a problem, but if you stick with the four main safety rules you can't go wrong. I've been handling firearms for close to 15 years now and have never had a negligent discharge because I am near obsessive about firearm safety.

The important bit i think he said was that he was obseesssed with safety.

Why can't we do the same in all parts of our life?

Thanks all for the discussion on this, and for the info earlier in the thread.

Occasionally I hear people claim that since the assailant in the Connecticut massacre robbed his mother's weapons for the attack (the mother being a law-abiding and sane citizen whose right to keep and bear arms was not infringed), that the solution is therefore to disarm all law-abiding sane citizens. I have to wonder, though; if the assailant's mother had been a policewoman or a soldier (presumably, these sorts of people would be permitted arms in a disarmed society) and the same situation happened, would the solution then be to disarm the police force (were she a policewoman) or disarm the military (were she a soldier)?

the mother owned assault weapons legally? o_O

Man. I keep getting surprised...

The rifle was a 5.56mm semi-automatic. It was not set up for either burst-fire or fully-automatic fire.

Whether that's an "assault weapon" or not is pretty nebulous. "Assault weapon" is not really a discrete category of weapons. For the most part, it's a term used for any semi-automatic weapon that has a military-style aesthetic instead of, say, a rancher-style aesthetic. But aesthetic design, wood versus polymer stocks, etc doesn't actually mean much of anything in terms of what you can and cannot do with a weapon.

For example, most people would say that the Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle is not an "assault weapon":

But the Ruger Mini-14 Tactical is an "assault weapon":

...even though they're mechanically identical (both Ruger Mini-14s chambered for 5.56mm rounds).

I have been handling firearms for 40+ years and out of those, there was one accidental discharge ad it was the result of a round being lodged being incorrectly loaded by someone else. This is why to have guns pointing away towards a safe area when checking, cleaning, etc.

QFT. This is largely down to the news media outlets looking for sensationalism and having their own agendas. Very little balance out there on the issue.

Why are you pro gun? I seen no logical reason to have gun laws as they are.

These weapons are not identical for what purposes they can serve. Here are some differences that make a difference in a combat scenario.

Those two rifles are not equal. One has a collapsable stock, which also means it can be changed out. That means it can be concealed easier because the total length of the rifle can be shortened, as well as making making it easier to pan around corners or maneuver with the weapon in a ready position. It also has multiple rail mount systems (one on top, one on bottom). This has a potential to make you more accurate in firing in multiple scenarios because you can slap on anything from NVG sights (night vision) and lasers to a high powered scope or a blinding flashlight. Get a marking pen and sight in a few different tools that go on those rails and you can go from desert warrior to urban night sniper in a matter of seconds by marking where you sighted in your tools on the railing.

I also guarantee the second weapon will take a lot more of a beating then the first which is something required for a weapon planned to be used in an assault. The second rifle also has a grip handle, making going to the ready a lot easier and efficient then the first which will require a lot more skill to be standing straight up and "combat gliding" (walking at the ready) towards a target or in the direction of the target. You also have the option on the second rifle to change out the pistol grip and stock giving you even more options to make you quicker and more accurate. The second rifle would also be easier to conceal due to its collapsable stock.

I can't really tell if an extended mag for the second rifle would work for the first, but generally speaking assault rifles have magazines from 10 - 30 from what I've seen, the first doesn't appear to have that.

Without stating my own beliefs on the gun control issue I can tell you I can do a lot more damage with the second rifle then the first, and that they are not created equal. The second can serve well in both an urban and rural environment, and although the first can be used in both it is not as efficient in design as the second for both situations.

Edit: Another option you have on the second that is not on the first, due to the muzzle compensator on the second, is the option of having a silencer or suppressor attached to the muzzle. On top of making the rifle easier to conceal, with those tools you can make your position easier to conceal as well because people can't locate where your'e shooting from as easily, if they can at all.

Ero brings up some good points. The Mini 14 is actually based off of the M1 Garand and is a tough, reliable, light, and accurate weapon that can hold up to 30 rounds with the right magazine. You could conceal the second more easily as Ero stated, but minus the accessories the Mini 14 is a pretty comparable piece.

Gun laws often are not logical, because people who are against self-defense are not logical. They are much more driven by emotional reactions. We'd be better off if our self-defense laws were relaxed.

Aiki make a very valuable point. It's a little backwards to address firearms safety laws before we have a concise, reasonable justice system in the use of appropriate self-defense law. Like all things USA, our system varies greatly from State-to-State, and in some cases puts very unreasonable and unsafe expectations on victims of violence.

That said, there really isn't a rationale reason anyone needs high capacity, military grade firearms as a civilian. In a perfect world, there wouldn't be so many firearms circulated in this country, and their access would be very restricted. There are a few things I feel everyone should require strict competency licensing to posses: automobiles, firearms, and children.

Frankly, I'm just weary of people these days. How anyone could be so fundamentally broken that they harm children they have no grievance against is beyond me. And you have to be a real piece of trash to make a political point by scaring children.

There is a real solid rationale for individuals owning military grade weaponry.you just might not agree with it . The 2nd Amendment like all of the Bill of Rights were meant as limits of government power over the individual, freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, freedom from incarceration etc, etc. The freedom to keep and bear arms is ultimately the the tool to keep the other rights in place. The vast majority of gun owners thankfully see that as a last resort mechanism, they still see it as need.

That's why anything approaching confiscation is totally unfeasible even though some advocate it. Remember the direct cause of the Oklahoma City bombing were the bungled confiscation attempts at Ruby Ridge and Waco Texas. These are just a mild foretaste of what likely would occur if large scale confiscation were attempted.
P

I don't agree with how you say your point, and what you say causes me to have a lot of suspicion on the validity of your statements. However, I am in agreement that if confiscation of firearms of any kind by force will result in a lot of a deaths, possibly a civil war depending on how abrupt and direct such a policy trying to enforce forceful confiscation is. "Give up your guns now" will most certainly result in "Sure, right after I put a bullet in your head." That's something I think our friends overseas that engage in these discussions don't have a grasp on. I know plenty of people who would willingly start fighting due to unhappiness with the current government and their fierce beliefs in a right to bear arms. Say what you will about that, doesn't change the reality of the situation.

Back