Man arrested for 2x4 labeled "High Powered Rifle"

wouldn't that mean, a majority of schools out there?

The most recognised school in my country is in the private sector, and it has huge walls, barbwired, security bunkers with machine guns on all 4 corners, metal detectors on the entrance and security on the Main doors of the school building.

their security fees was pretty hefty, and EVERY parent *with the money* wanted and still wants their kid to study there.

That said, its NOT an elitest school. children from all backgrounds study there.

Look it up if you want, its called Karachi Graofftopicr School.

They took these measures there gradually, after similar incidences.

Children that graduate from there aren't really psychologically affected negatively by this. Its a neccesity, which may seem sad, but its needed.

all Universities, govt and private, mimic these measures, but that's with a valid reason, which is that uni's are targets for a LOT of political activity here.

So going by that, wouldn't you agree that atleast SOME schools in troubled areas need similar measures. and others need atleast SOME measures placed?

Then so be it.
If our cities are SO BAD that we're afraid every weekday for students' safety, then collectively we have failed -- at the societal level. And it's time to start over. Fact.

The USA doesn't have that underlying factual context.

Couldn't you say the same thing about a society where people go into schools and specifically murder as many children as possible?

Does it happen every weekday? The metal detectors, barbed wire, bunkers, and machine guns are on every weekday. I try to not compare granny smith apples to pineapples.

Its not about about every weekday. its about that one time when some one decides to do something as sickening as that. for that you need round the clock security.

No, we don't, and unless you propose that we stop issuing driving licenses, and ban alcoholic beverages, then your statement deserves nothing but to be ignored.

Then i wonder why LEOs, night security, bodyguards, and the military exist in the first place.

You have a vulnerable population, you protect them in any way possible and discourage any who would want to harm them.

can you stop issuing drivers licences, ban alcoholic drinks?

Is the American government making Gun ownership more strict, or taking similar steps?

Will that really help?

I find it very confusing that you want to put your most valuable resource in one place, then refuse to secure it in every way.

To me, its like saying a bank shouldn't have a guard with a gun inside.

I do not buy the argument that armed guards will affect children's psyche negatively.

I understand the argument that People would prioritize other measures first.

I say both measures should be taken.

So , we put armed gaurds into schools , and turn the schools into virtual fortresses , how would this have stopped the mass shootings at the batman premiere , the Sikh temple and the other mass shootings that weren't in schools ?

The idea of putting armed guards everywhere seems to me to be somewhat akin to putting out dozens of small fires, but completely ignoring the massive forest fire that's causing all the smaller fires. There's clearly an underlying problem that is breeding this kind of culture, and it is that problem that needs to be tackled, otherwise it will continue to grow.

which is why i said BOTH measures should be taken. You approach a problem from both sides so you have more success. But you can't expect not be blind sided if you didn't.
Its easier said than done, but what in life isn't?

By putting armed guards everywhere you're not tackling the problem; you're contributing to it. If people are constantly in the presence of guns, then people become accustomed to guns, and gun culture grows. Especially if those armed guards are around children who are in their developmental stages.

In any case, I couldn't fathom the amount of money it would cost to put armed guards in every school in the country. It just doesn't seem economically viable.

I don't really agree with that statement. my friends, cousins , parents and myself have been watching Shotguns in the hands of security guards in Malls, banks, schools, hospitals, pretty much everywhere with a gathering of people.

We feel safer knowing they are there.

None of us even know the design or qualities of a single gun. we are genuinely uncomfortabe with having gunstores in our neighborhood.

We are VERY uncomfortable having acuaintance with some folks who have guns.

We've been hearing them go off every other day. we're still not comfortable with the sound.

I think it has to do more with parenting tan anything else.

With all due respect to your country, I'm not sure Pakistan is the model of a social climate which should be replicated worldwide. Saying that, neither is America. However, regardless of whether you feel safer for having the armed guards there, would you not feel safer if there were no guns?

With regards to parenting, I'm not so sure that's the issue. I'd be interested in seeing some evidence to back that statement up.

Lawrence O'Donnell worked it out at $6.7B.

I recommend his segment last night if you want to see LaPierre getting taken down hard.

When you're broke and trillions in debt, nothing really seems economically viable.
I really don't get the economic system of the west, *even after Hannibal, i think it was him, sat me down and explained some of it to me"

A thought
As i understand it, schooling is free up to high school or something in the US? at least in public schools?

Over here, the security fees is paid by the people. a small sum from each family to pay for the guards and other security measures.
Considering the large amount of students that attend public schools, each family would have to pay a rather small amount wouldn't it?

You're right, Pakistan isn't the best example to use, i just shared an example from my experiences. And if there were no guns, The conneticut shooting would have been the conneticut slashings and we would be discussing Knife regulations.
You would be going for Knife regulation only and i would be advocating Armored Knights in every school.

Make sure that decent folk can be licensed to carry a firearm (CCW) ?

Mass murders have been happening for decades, all one has to do is research

It isn't about guns, lock-downs, security.

It is about trying to figure how to stop a individual in the first place.

A good friend of mine, whom went back to India after college, had news of a mass slaughter from a man killing 14 people-a entire family with a machete style weapon his first week back there.

Maybe that town should ban machete-style blades?

Growing up around something means you learn how to respect it, thus it's not as big of a deal. Many kids are around guns from an early age, and may even own their own. My good friend is a good ole country boy who got a .22 rifle for his birthday when he was 6 years old. He's now in his 40s and has never even had a speeding ticket in his life. He's served almost 20 years in the US Army Reserve and takes his young boys hunting all the time who are also trained in the safe use of firearms. Once my oldest hits 6-7 years old, he'll also most likely be getting a .22 rifle for his birthday so he can learn safe gun use (which will obviously be locked up when not in use). Kids see police officers with guns on all the time, and a lot of them have no problems running up to say hi or shake our hands.

So, is someone saying that exposing kids to guns either make them affraid of them or more likely use them violently?

About $24 per American per year, or $2 per American per month. If the populace supports it--and a lot do, though I haven't seen a formal poll for percentages--a minimal tax increase would easily fund it.

I had an officer at my high school (a "school resource officer" who did everything from rapport-building to drug issues to helping break up student-on-student fights) and it was a good experience overall. Same with the officer who was at my elementary school part-time (a Drug Abuse Resistance Education officer). Certainly not damaging in any way.

Did you hear about the mass shooting at a San Antonio, Texas movie theater showing The Hobbit last week? EDIT: Or the 2010 hotel massacre in Salt Lake City?

You probably didn't, because massacres didn't actually occur in either place. In Texas, an off-duty police officer who was carrying a firearm put several rounds in the shooter after he fired a single round into a crowd, and in SLC, a police officer who was present in the hotel killed the shooter (who was carrying over one thousand rounds of ammunition and several firearms). In both cases, the shooter only wounded one person before being shot himself.

SLC incident: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=12407323

When armed security stops a massacre, it's local news. When the massacre actually occurs, it's international news. It doesn't matter whether security stops massacres 70%, 80%, or 99% of the time--most of us only hear about it when they don't.

Back