In UFC do mma fighters suffer from lethal brain damage and concussions in the

Sense

Jan 16, 2009
long run? I was watching a documentary on American Football stars that died due to some forms of physical damage or the other when they were in there 60's. It said that professional full contact sports athletes suffer major injuries in their career that decrease their lifespan by 15-20 years.

If you all think it is possible please let a future kinesiologist(me) know.

I would say yes.. but not as high as football or boxing.

Football is a very high amount of blunt force for a good part of a 60 min game. Every week.

Boxing is many 3 minute rounds of getting hit in the head. When a fighter gets in to major trouble in boxing the match continues as long as he doesn't fall unconscious or get knocked down. He could take hundreds of punches as long as he keeps standing.

In Mma, alot of the fighting takes place on the ground where there normally aren't a whole lot of strikes, because generally if there are the match gets stopped, or the person on bottom can control the top fighter and work for a submission. Also when a fighter is in major trouble the bout is stopped.

Although there is a lot of room for concussion as many mixed martial artists have experienced these injuries. I would have to say that they are much safer than other contact sports just because of the style of refereeing.

well we cant answer that question yet since there hasent been enough years of regulation

all i can say is probably no buecase there arent as high a knockout rate in MMA as to boxing or other combat sports

well we cant answer that question yet since there hasent been enough years of regulation

all i can say is probably no buecase there arent as high a knockout rate in MMA as to boxing or other combat sports

Back