I have a wood stove with an 8" vent, and a 6" hole in my chimney.?

Danniel1

Sep 23, 2011
I have it hooked up with a reducer at the stove, and 6" pipe to the chimney. It puffs out more smoke than I would like when I open either door to put wood in. Would changing to an 8" pipe and putting the reducer at the chimney help the draft at all?

Reducing the manufacturers specified parameters will not yield satisfactory results. They are rated per their units parameters and by reducing the size of flu will only triple the work when it comes back out to install correctly because the smoke alarm goes off every 10 minutes this winter and the city is threatening to charge you for the next call they get from your alarm company..........not that this would happen I'm just saying...........lol In the construction trade we have a saying "Why is there never enough time to do the job right but always enough time to comeback and do it again?" I know what is involved in enlarging these and pray they don't leak. Do some research they make the kits for enlarging these penetrations. I think under { "skylights" } look for { "tube lights" } and accessories. They carry a lot because of their nature as tubed shoots for light. Good Luck

Hi If your Wood burner has a 8" outlet that's for a good reason, if you are not sure give the stove manufactures a ring and ask, as with any type of stove room ventilation is the key to safety and efficiency.
cheers.
Bob a job

I have a wood burning heater with a six inch flue expanded to an eight inch flue and i have the same problem. Open the door slower and see what happens. You may be creating a back draft if you open the door too fast.

Back