how to get rid of weeds,without destroying plants like grass and a bell pepper...

Laura

May 13, 2008
...plant.? im making a garden and weeds have taken over our backyard.i picked out most of them but how do i get rid of the rest? see we already grew a bell pepper plant too,so whats the best way too get rid of them and will it hurt future plants that grow there?

I heard that if you put wood chips over the areas you don't want weeds to grow, they won't grow. I don't know for sure, though.

You must pull up all the weeds you can by hand, making sure you get the roots too. Large shovels, small shovels and weeding tools that you twist can be helpful too. No way around it.

Covering the area with mulch will make it harder for weeds to spring back up and those that do will be scraggly and easier to pull. Other cover like wood chips could work but some wood chips are chemically treated so I wouldn't risk it unless you're sure. Black plastic could likewise work. Getting plenty of decomposed organic material into your soil will loosen it up, making it easier for plant roots to grow and making it much easier to pull weeds. A fresh mulch like yard clippings on the surface will both keep weeds down and slowly decompose to loosen the soil in the future too. But don't bury plant material that hasn't decomposed yet; leave it on the surface.

Peppers are extra sensitive to weeds, much more than other plants are, so make sure you weed frequently.

And for the love of pete don't use herbicides near plants that you intend to eat. They are in fact harmful to garden plants, but the main thing is that they are harmful to *you*.

Back