How to eliminate some wording here? I need to downsize this by about half?

lightheaded

Mar 4, 2011
Hi there =) How can I make this more concise while leaving all the facts and keeping it interesting for the most part? Best answer ASAP and thumbs up points to everyone who answers.

Here it goes!

The Midway-Sunset Oil Field
Discovered in 1894, and having a cumulative production of close to 3 billion barrels of oil at the end of 2006, it is the largest oil field in California and the third largest in the United States. As of the end of 2008, its estimated remaining reserves amounted to approximately 532 million barrels of oil. Drillers continued to find new pools throughout
recent years.

Drilling depths usually ranging from 4,900 feet to 8,700 feet. As of the end of 2008, the most recent date for which data was available, the field contained 11,494 producing wells, more than any other oil field in California.

To shorten this piece would cheapen it. It is well written and gives a wealth of information in what is a short piece of writing.
In the first para you have said 3 million barrels of oil so we know that from now on the subject is oil so leave out any subsequent "barrels of oil"
You could just leave out the part of the sentence " the most recent date for which information was available"
In the last sentence you could leave out the two words "oil field"
I still liked it in the original form though.

The largest oil field in California, and the largest in the US has a cumulative production close to 3 billion at 2006.

I got 1 sentence a lot shorter :)

The largest oil field in California, and the third largest in the United States, was discovered in 1894 and produced nearly 3 billion barrels of oil between then and 2006. As of the end of 2008 (the most recent date for which data was available) it contained 11,949 producing wells, ranging from 4,900-8,700 feet, and an estimated 532 million barrels of oil remaining. Drillers continue to find new pools.

Or you could reduce it to bullet points:

- Discovered: 1894
- Cumulative production 1894-2006: nearly 3 billion barrels
- Largest oil field in California, third largest in the United States.
- Estimated remaining reserves (as of 2008): 532 million barrels
- 11,494 producing wells, more than any other oil field in California. Drillers continue to find new pools.
- Drilling depths usually range from 4,900 feet to 8,700 feet.

You won't get it any shorter without losing some of the information. If there's anything here you can do without, cut it.

Back