How do I remove Old Tar from underneath car ?

JAG

Feb 12, 2008
about 2 summers ago I went over a street that had been freshly paved over and now I want to lubricate my chassis but it is covered with some thick tar and looks like it will be tough to take off , also the rest of the front suspension is covered in tar as well. I have a 1986 Cutlass Supreme Brougham , I was told that most of the tar sprays that sell at automotive shops like autozone or kragen won't really help , if its true, what kind of shop should I take my car to ?

thank you in advance
I guess scraping it off is the only way i figured
yeah as many said the lube zerts and thats it and I never knew that it can help prevent rust.. kool

HI
Are you sure some of that is not just the factory undercoating? If you drove over some wet tar on the road it would only be within the fender wheels wells. Because the tires would only throw the tar straight up not around under the car. I would say just clean up around the lube zerts and leave the rest the undercoating is to protect the car's under body from rust.
good luck
tim

Don't bother. Just consider it a very good undercoating that will not hurt anything and may actually help. Anything that will work, is a dangerous solvent that is bad to breath, bad to get on skin and bad as a potential fire danger.

Hey you got free undercoating! LOL You can use heat and / or laquer thinner, but not both at same time its very flammable. use gloves with thinner. If its that old on the car it will take some soaking, try using a rag wrapped and we it. Just remove from the lube fittings (zerk) and leave the rest, won't cause a problem.

Back