Haier air conditioner has high pitched whine even on fan mode?

batz39

May 27, 2009
I just bought a 6000 btu energy star Haier air conditioner from Target to replace a smaller Frigidaire that had a rattling noise. The new unit cools fine. However, there is this very loud and high pitched sound that comes on instantly when I turn the unit on, even on fan only mode. It is constant and steady and doesn't pulse or hum, like what the manual says. If it was the compressor noise, wouldn't it disappear on fan only mode? There are three Frigidaire air conditioners in my house and the only thing I hear from them is mechanical air noise. The high pitched whine from the Haier is unlike anything I've heard from an AC and is driving me nuts. Will they take returns or give me a replacement at Target? Or do I have to call customer service from Haier?

call the customer service line first, then take it back, what you describe may be normal operation, or defect due to low voltage on the line, check the sticker on the unit, for proper amperage rating on the circuit its installed in, if its rated for 20 amps and you have it installed in a 15 amp circuit, theres nothing wrong with the unit, you need a larger power supply to the a/c unit

Back