Fiat Punto Mk 2 1.9 JTD ELX cranks, but doesn't start. Ideas?

Axeman

Dec 30, 2008
Okay so the car is a 2001 "Y" reg Fiat Punto 1.9 JTD ELX. The engine cranks but doesn't start.
There is plenty of diesel in the tank. The fuel pump can be heard to run when the ignition is turned on. The battery is fine (three months old and fully charged) and the engine cranks at a good high speed. Both the AA and a Fiat approved garage have plugged in diagnostic computers and both returned no fault codes. Up until it went faulty it started and ran fine; on the first turn of the key. Since then it has been tried dozens of times and has started just twice.

Has anybody experienced the same problem and if so, what was the cause of the fault?
Any help here would be greatly appreciated as the garage doesn't know where to begin due to the lack of fault codes!
Cheers
Hi, thanks for the replies so far.
The glow plugs are less than six months old and generally last 50,000 miles or so, i doubt that's the problem.
I believe all electrical terminals are fine as the engine cranks well and the fuel pump can be heard to run.
The fuel filter was replaced about 4 months ago, so should be fine I would think (I only do about 5500 miles a year!).
I reckon the injectors are okay as I've experienced no rough running or difficulty starting until the fault began.
Not sure what you meant by "coils", could you clarify?
Fuel cutoff solenoid sounds like a fair bet: Any idea where it is on the engine and how I would test it?
Thanks again.

Back