Does 120hz really make a difference then 60hz for ps3 and blueray movies/suggestions?

BobH

May 14, 2008
Im looking to purchase a new TV primarily for ps3 gaming and watching blueray. I don't have cable television so im not so concerned with that. Im looking for some suggestions for a 1080p TV a little on the cheaper side. Around $500. Samsung is the best brand I've seen used up close. Insignia looked great for ps3 gaming as well, but I heard they don't last that long. The problem im facing is that 60hz differ in price then a 120hz TV by a lot. The actual size of the TV doesn't really matter to me. It will be placed in a small room. So if anyone has some suggestions/insight for a TV that looks great for ps3 gaming and blueray around $500 I would greatly appreciate it. thanks.

Here's the thing, 60Hz looks fine for gaming. If you never see a 120Hz TV playing a game or movie, you won't know what you're missing. Thing is most movies and games are made to run in 60Hz, not 120Hz, so as of right now, you won't notice much of a difference.

Here is what you have to decide. The same argument can be said about SD and HD TV (even though very few SD TVs are made anymore). If you never see an HD TV, than SD TV owners don't know what they are missing. Eventually you will want an HD TV, and most likely will want 120Hz, but if you are planning on this being a gaming and movie TV only, then a 60Hz TV is more than efficient. Only buy a 120Hz TV if you plan on it being the center point of your home entertainment system with surround sound and such, where everyone gathers to watch. This suggestion is based on the fact that you are giving yourself a $500 budget.

I have a $3500 60" Sony TV in my living room (with a $2000 Pioneer surround sound system) that is my main TV, but I have a $400 Sony TV in my bedroom (with a $300 Pioneer surround sound system) that works just as well for the room size it is in. You have to decide what is best for you.

well bob, to answer your original question, yes. 120 hertz makes a good difference especially for quick gaming like if you're playing Call of Duty for example, those fast-flying bullets will look much sharper, and you will see your fellow soldiers much more clearly. As for movies it mostly just looks good with action movies, but nevertheless things in general will be clearer because although our eyes can only see 60Hz so we just see a before and after image in a split second, but with 120Hz it actually fills in that in-between gap from the initial image and your end result, with 120Hz you see the whole picture happening.

well bob, to answer your original question, yes. 120 hertz makes a good difference especially for quick gaming like if you're playing Call of Duty for example, those fast-flying bullets will look much sharper, and you will see your fellow soldiers much more clearly. As for movies it mostly just looks good with action movies, but nevertheless things in general will be clearer because although our eyes can only see 60Hz so we just see a before and after image in a split second, but with 120Hz it actually fills in that in-between gap from the initial image and your end result, with 120Hz you see the whole picture happening.

Back