Do you think the (Hollywood) film industry has done a good job of scaling...

Blaze

May 13, 2008
...down on stereotyping people? Just thinking that these days the ideas of putting negative images of people in films has been somewhat scaled down these days from what it was in the 1950s - 1970s and stuff although I have heard of social stereotyping existing in all kinds of cultures: intellectual and martial artist Asians, black and Latin thugs, etc. I think it goes both ways sometimes but it is more subtle these days because of acceptance of other people as humans and not threats like how things used to be: hostility to other people because they were different in some way and so that sparked fear which turned aggressive: riots, murders, etc. I think even rapping and martial arts have both become stereotypes maybe in themselves given they are very popular and so frequent in American entertainment: not that it is a bad thing or anything like that; I think it just fits well in some situations and not in others (the bullet time effect looked way better in Blade and The Matrix than in Shrek).

Back