The "So you want a job" Thread

SandyF

Apr 18, 2008
We have been getting a lot of threads asking about jobs and to be honest its frustrating because usually we come up with the same answer, so i decided to spend my time making this thread to end all of that and to help the general population by giving them some good information..

*Any recommendations or spelling errors or things you want to add are more then welcome just pm me your suggestion and ill be sure to follow through*

Chapter One- Deciding Where I should get my job.

Chapter Two- The application process.

Chapter Three-The first impression.

Chapter Four- The interview.

Chapter Five- Practice makes perfect.

Chapter One
Everyone has a deferent reason to get a job, weather it be to earn some cash for a car, xbox, to help there parents for what ever reason or to go to school, But finding a job that fits you is key for any situation. These are some questions to ask your self when looking for a new job.

1.Why do I want this job?

2.How long do I want this job?

3.What hours am I available to work?

4.What are your skill sets and how do they apply to a job?

5.How hard am I honestly willing to work?

6.Are you a quick learner?

All of these should be applied to your thought process when looking for a job to help match you with a good employer so that you can both be happy.

Chapter Two

When cold calling (applying for a job that is not advertised) always drop off a resume or fill out an application during off-peak hours. Never show up during the busiest time of day or just before closing; this is a sure fire way to NOT get an interview.

If answering an advertised position only show up during the times stated in the ad. If no times are specified the same rules apply as in a cold call, never show up at the busiest time of day or just before closing.

If applying for a job you have heard about from word of mouth or through a friend make sure to mention how you heard about the job when dropping off your resume. Ask the person who told you about the position for the name of the manager or person doing the hiring and ask specifically for this individual. Also find out the best time to drop off a resume.

Have a resume ready and attach it to any application form you are asked to fill out. Keep your resumes neatly in a folder and keep the folder within easy reach in a bag or backpack.

Dress neatly, conservatively but also casually. Avoid trendy clothes, jeans, or personal identity statements (like a Mohawk or political t-shirt) unless they are fitting to the job, for example; trendy is OK if the job is in a trendy clothing store.

remove piercing that may be objectionable and obvious to an employer such as facial piercing and keep tattoos covered unless these things seem fitting (or even desirable) at the place of employment.

Politely approach the first available employee and ask if they are hiring. Never interrupt a conversation, wait patiently until you are acknowledged.

If you speak to anybody but a manager and are told they are not hiring ask if you can leave a resume anyway and be sure to get the managers name and the next time they will be working. Stop by a second time when you know the manager will be available.

Follow up in person a few days after you drop of an application or resume. Make sure you follow up when you know the manager will be there. When you stop in simply restate your interest in the job and let the manager know that you hope they’ll keep you in mind when there’s an opening.

Always be polite, speak clearly and don’t stay too long. For example, if you just dropped a resume at a record store don’t stick around to do some shopping. Never blur the line between potential employee and customer.

Chapter Three

When you’re interviewing for a job, one of the keys to success is your first impression. If you’re about to go in for an interview, maybe its time to re-evaluate the first impression you give off. Do you come off as likable? Do you exude professionalism and charm?

The goal of every first impression is to stick to a persons brain. You want them to instantly like you and to keep thinking about you hours or even days after your first met them. Here are few things we can all do to give a killer first impression.

Focus on speaking. Speak clearly and at a moderate pace. Work on varying your voice intonation. You don't want to come off as a monotone bore. Also, speak the language of the person interviewing you. Avoid slang and jargon not associated with the job you're interviewing for. Use proper grammar and vocabulary that reflects a higher education. If people cant understand you, its hard for them to like you.

Dress to impress. You don't want to walk into an interview looking like a slob. If you look sloppy, people will assume you do sloppy work. Look neat and presentable. Also, dress so you'll fit in with the people who are interviewing you. For attorneys that means conservative suits, white shirts, and ties. If your job is more creative, say like a graphic designer, dress so it looks like you're creative.

Look fit. People are attracted to people in good physical shape. If you're out of shape, start heading to the gym everyday for 30 minutes of cardio and strength training. Also, quit eating junk and start eating healthy.

Chapter Four

During an employment interview, the interviewer meets with potential employees to evaluate their skills, capabilities, and levels of experience.

When, as a prospective employee, you find yourself sitting in the hot seat, keep in mind that while there are no standard responses, your replies should be clear and relevant. Stopping in silence to gather your thoughts is not only helpful but wise.

To answer questions with poise, try to remember these tips:

Listen carefully. If you feel the question is unclear, ask politely for clarification.

Pause before answering to consider all facts that may substantiate your response.

Always offer positive information; avoid negativity at all times.

Get directly to the point. Ask if listener would like you to go into great detail before you do.

Discuss only the facts needed to respond to the question.

Focus and re-focus attention on your successes. Remember, the goal is not to have the right answers so much as it is to convince the interviewer that you are the right person.

Be truthful, but try not to offer unsolicited information.

Try not to open yourself to areas of questioning that could pose difficulties for you.

Chapter Five

I suggest practicing job interviews with someone willing to help, this gets you prepared for the interview and makes you more confident. Below I give you a link that gives you an idea of questions asked, just click the field your job falls under

http://www.job-interview.net/Bank/JobInterviewQuestions.htm

nice avyy. also nice job. eh i think it will actually help people

Thanks guys hopefully this will clear up some threads in our growing st =] anyone think this is sticky worthy?

I thought it would be lame as shit.. But nice job :tup:

Definitely needed to be done, especially with summer here.

Thanks man, and yeah it needed to be done fer sherr.

Back